February 10

ON THIS WEEKEND

first_imgSPORTSMAX2Saturday9 a.m: Newcastle vs Crystal Palace11:30 a.m: Arsenal vs Norwich6 p.m: Everton vs Bournemouth9:30 p.m: Watford vs Aston Villa11:30 p.m: Stoke vs SunderlandSunday6 a.m: Swansea vs Liverpool8:05 a.m: Man United vs Leicester10:30 a.m: Southampton vs Man Citylast_img

January 14

Ellen to Visit Gbarpolu Friday

first_imgPresident Ellen Johnson Sirleaf arrives in Bokomu and Gou N`walla Districts for a special visit, according to Senate Pro Tempore Armah Zolu Jallah who spoke to this newspaper late yesterday evening. Pro Temp Jallah who hails from Gbarpolu County said while in the county, President Sirleaf will break ground for the Mornaquelleh-Palala motor road,and hold talks with elders and Legislators hailing from that county. It can be recalled that President Sirleaf upon taking office in 2006, promised citizens of Gbarpolu that her government would connect Bopolu City with the town of Belleh Yella, then center of the notorious prison. And true to her promise, residents of that area today enjoy a motor road even though that project is yet to be fully completed. The President’s visit also comes a week after she held talks with Senator Daniel Naatehn and Pro Temp Jallah which contributed to the two Gbarpolu lawmakers decision to resolve their disagreements and promise to work for the development of their county.It is also important to note that outgoing Finance and Development Planning Minister Armara Konneh hails from that County and there is a reported plan by his kinsmen to host an honoring program before his departure for his new World Bank assignment in Nairobi, Kenya.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img
January 11

Harvick still racing around

first_imgBeing the Daytona 500 winner comes with a whirlwind media tour. For Kevin Harvick, that has meant appearances on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” “Live with Regis and Kelly,” California Speedway Day in L.A. at Hollywood and Highland, “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” and radio spots with ESPN’s Dan Patrick in Bristol, Conn., Steve Mason and John Ireland on KSPN 710-AM, and Rick Dees on KMVN 93.9-FM in Los Angeles. “They’ve been very organized with everything, making things go really smoothly,” Harvick said. “We’ve been able to rest at night and have somewhere nice to sleep, too. It’s really not been much worse than being at home.” He arrived Wednesday in LosAngeles, but won’t see California Speedway, the site of this weekend’s NASCAR races, until this afternoon. When he gets there, things won’t settle down. Harvick will run in all three races at California Speedway this weekend. He will be in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race Friday night, the Busch Series race Saturday and the Nextel Cup Series race Sunday. Once he gets on the race track, it might be his first chance for a little peace and quiet – so to speak – since winning the Daytona 500. “Still going to race all three races,” said Harvick, driver of the No. 29 Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Richard Childress Racing in the Cup Series. “We planned on doing that from the beginning. Just trying to get the truck program started off on the right foot. Be in the Busch car this week, too. When you’re in the car at the track, you can kind of get away from the rest of it.” In addition to winning the Daytona 500, Harvick also won the Busch Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway in the Richard Childress Racing No. 21 Chevrolet. center_img Driving for Childress, Harvick won last year’s Busch Series championship – in dominating fashion – but has decided not to race the entire Busch Series schedule this year. He is splitting his time in the Busch Series between his own Kevin Harvick Inc. car and the one for Richard Childress Racing. For the California Speedway Busch Series race, Harvick will be in his own team’s No. 33 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Tony Stewart drove the No. 33 Chevy to an eighth-place finish in the Daytona race. This is the first of eight Busch Series races Harvick plans to run in his own No. 33 entry. Harvick will also be racing one of his own trucks, the No. 2 Chevrolet Silverado, in the Truck Series race. “I am doing four races in a KHI truck this year,” Harvick said. “Clint (Bowyer) will drive in four truck races for me this year and Cale Gale will drive in three more.” With successful teams in both the Busch and Truck Series, Harvick said he and his wife, DeLana, are not entertaining any desire to move into the Cup. “We don’t have any plans right now,” Harvick said. “DeLana and I are really trying to get our arms around what we do need to do, don’t need to do, in the Busch and Truck Series, really try to focus on that.” Seeing his Cup boss run his three-car team, Harvick said he has a good understanding of how much effort and commitment it takes to run a Cup team. “We can still enjoy being the driver and being a team owner with the Busch and Truck,” Harvick said, “where I don’t think we could do both if we owned the Cup car.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

January 11

Grocery strike not on the list

first_imgLess than two weeks before an employee contract expires with several of California’s major grocery chains, the mood that led to a strike and picket lines three years ago has not emerged. While an agreement before March 5 for the 70,000 workers is unlikely, experts and insiders said they expect talks to continue. “Last time around it was very confrontational, a lot of spear-rattling,” said Jack Kyser, chief economist for the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. “I don’t hear that now.” Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons have been open to discussion, said Rick Icaza, president of United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 770, but striking is not out of the question. But chain executives said that is a key sticking point. “Tier two is a great way to protect those veteran associates that we so much appreciate, and still have a competitive wage and health proposal for new hires,” Pete Van Helden, an executive at SuperValu, which owns Albertsons, said during a conference call Friday. “It’s been a great solution.” Multitier systems are common, said David Hirz, president of Ralphs. “Looking at the 31 largest markets, 28 have some form of second-tier contracts,” he said. “And those have been in place more than 20 years.” If previous negotiations are any indication, reaching an agreement could take months. Safeway, which owns Vons, has not agreed to a new labor deal before the contract expired in 19 of its past 20 negotiations. On average, talks to reach a deal have taken seven extra months. When the contract expires, workers have several options. They can take a strike-authorization vote that, if approved, would allow them to strike at any time. They also could work without a contract or agree to extend the current contract. A strike-authorization vote has not been taken, nor has a date been set for a vote. A meeting between Local 770 and the chains is scheduled for early next week, Icaza said. During the 2003-04 strike, local and state officials got involved, but that is unlikely now unless a strike drags on, according to political analyst Sherry Bebitch Jeffe of the University of Southern California. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nu ez, D-Los Angeles, have a long history of involvement with Los Angeles labor, but their smartest move might be to get involved as mediators, not advocates, Jeffe said. Talks could be drawn out by a decision made by the seven unions to negotiate with each of the three chains separately, a change from collective bargaining in 2004. Unions made the switch because employers abused the system last time, Icaza said, referring to charges that allege Ralphs illegally rehired employees after a lockout. During the 139-day strike in 2003 and 2004, the largest in the nation’s history, the chains lost an estimated $2 billion. Many workers never recovered from lost wages. A strike would not be in the chains’ best interest because competition is stiff from specialty food stores, wholesalers and small independent markets, said Phil Lempert, editor of SupermarketGuru.com in Santa Monica. During the strike, the chains lost customers who never came back. Staff Writer Harrison Sheppard contributed to this report. julia.scott@dailynews.com (818) 713-3735160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “As opposed to last time, it was take it or leave it when the employers made a proposal and literally we couldn’t give any input,” Icaza said. “This time, there have been some discussions.” Neither side has exchanged formal proposals on the major issues of health care and wages. Meetings since mid-January have covered minor items such as weekly schedules and which employees can stock certain products. Hashing out the major issues means agreeing to keep or toss out a two-tier system under which veteran workers have a different pay scale and health benefits than new workers. There is some pressure to abolish the tiered system, as grocery chain Stater Bros. has done. Another chain, Gelson’s, is set to get rid of the system as well. “If Stater Bros. can do it, they can, too,” Icaza said of the three major chains. “If Gelson’s can do it, they can do it.” last_img read more

January 11

City given 72 hour strike notice

first_imgThe City of Fort St. John has confirmed that they’ve received the required 72 hour strike notice from workers through the BCEGU. While unionised employees are slated to walk off the job in that time there was an agreement between the parties as to what has been deemed essential services.City human resources director Rashid Hassan said clerical support for police, City internet technology, and water treatment facilities have been established as essential services going forward, and therefore will not be impacted.“They will include places like the clerical support in the RCMP, water and waste water treatment plants so that public health and safety is taken care of. There will be some positions for emergency for IT if there’s a break down of the system,” he said.- Advertisement -Hassan added that every area that was considered as essential, both parties were in agreement and mediation was not needed. He stated both groups realize the health and safety remains most important during labour action.last_img read more

December 30

Manchester United and England midfielder holds Euro 2016 ambitions

first_img Michael Carrick Michael Carrick has set his sights on earning a place in Roy Hodgson’s Euro 2016 squad.Carrick is likely to be included in Hodgson’s squad for the upcoming qualifiers against San Marino and Switzerland, which will be named on Tuesday afternoon.After a season interrupted by injury, the Manchester United midfielder found his way back into the England squad in the Spring and impressed during the 4-0 win over Lithuania and the creditable 1-1 draw against Italy in Turin.With Jack Wilshere out through yet another ankle injury, Carrick has a chance to stake his claim for a place in England’s midfield over the next few weeks.And after missing out on Euro 2012 and last year’s World Cup, the 34-year-old is determined to make the cut for next summer’s tournament in France.“Of course I would like to go,” Carrick said.“I have been involved in the squad since the World Cup. I am looking to stay involved as much as I can.“It is down to me to play enough here and play well enough to warrant a place.”Even though he is approaching the twilight of his career, Carrick is still regarded as a key player at United.United only lost once when Carrick started for the club last year and boss Louis van Gaal had no hesitation in handing the long-serving midfielder a one-year contract extension in March. 1last_img read more

December 22

Celebrity chef creates 30 new jobs in landmark hotel takeover

first_imgDonegal’s celebrity chef Brian McDermott has created 30 new jobs for Moville as part of an ambitious restoration of the former Foyle Hotel.A €1.5m restoration of the well-known premises on the town’s main street is almost complete, transforming the historic building into a boutique hotel, wine bar and exclusive eatery under the culinary direction of the local chef.The new premises – which will be known as the Foyle Hotel by Brian McDermott – will open in mid-June and will feature 17 bedrooms as well as a state-of-the-art function room which is perfect for boutique weddings, and cookery weekends hosted by Brian himself. In the wine bar and eatery, the focus will be firmly on local produce, with Brian showcasing his own love of Donegal food as well as promoting the county’s heritage and the best of the Wild Atlantic Way.Seafood will feature strongly on the menus, and with the harbour only kilometres away fresh fish will be on diners’ plates within hours of landing at Greencastle.Eight full-time and 22 part-time posts are currently on offer with competitive salary rates, including general manager, head chef, chefs, bar persons, front of house and housekeeping roles.Chef Brian McDermott and family: Brenda, Niamh, Brian and AoifeBrian – who recently launched his second cookery book, Brian McDermott’s Donegal Table, to industry and popular acclaim – said it was a dream come true to be able to bring his signature dining experience to his home town. “I live in Moville, our family is based here, so to be able to bring 30 jobs to the town and to fulfil my ambition of creating a signature dining and hotel experience in my home town really is a dream come true,” he said.“I’ve spent my career championing local produce, and I want to use Donegal’s finest ingredients to create a quality experience for visitors, whether they’re popping in for a coffee or relaxing over an evening meal.“In the eatery we’ll be keeping it trendy, serving food throughout the evening with specially selected wines and local beers, all served in a relaxed environment with a focus on excellent customer service.“My wife Brenda and I grew up going to the Foyle Hotel, and in fact Brenda used to work there are restaurant manager, so we’ve decided to keep the name to mark that nostalgia.“However in creating the Foyle Hotel by Brian McDermott we’re also saying that this is a new, signature location where visitors can expect something different. “Brenda and myself and our girls are really looking forward to it because it gives us another home to do what we love – sourcing the best ingredients, cooking them simply, and allowing neighbours and visitors alike to relax and enjoy it.“We want it to be part of the whole community, and our aim is to use local producers which will create a knock-on effect in terms of encouraging other jobs and investment in the area.“We also hope it’ll be a boost to tourism and encourage more visitors to this part of Inishowen,” said Brian.The McDermott family at the launch of Donegal Table“I recently launched my cookery book, Brian McDermott’s Donegal Table, which has received fantastic reviews all over Ireland, and in a way this is about bringing that book alive. “We’re right on the Wild Atlantic Way, and my Donegal Table will be waiting for when you step through the door, ready for visitors to taste our food.”To apply for positions at the Foyle Hotel, please email your CV to info@foylehotel.ieCelebrity chef creates 30 new jobs in landmark hotel takeover was last modified: May 25th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Chef Brian McDermottFoyle HotelInishowenjobsmovillelast_img read more

December 21

Daniel admits he prefers The Chase than Love Island!

first_imgDaniel O’Donnell has admitted that he has never watched huge television hit Love Island and doesn’t even know exactly what it’s all about.The Donegal singing star says he watches lots of television but Love Island isn’t his thing.Instead, the 57-year-old millionaire entertainer says he loves quiz shows and similar programmes. And instead of watching Maura in a bikini by the poolside, he prefers to watch brainbox Anne Hegerty on The Chase which he revealed is his favourite show.He told Donegal Daily “I am not watching Love Island at all, is it good? I do watch television but I love quizzes. They are my thing.“I watch The Chase and all these kind of things. I love The Chase and it’s probably my favourite.”But Daniel said he hasn’t got around to watching the show that is topping all the ratings. He added “I haven’t watched Love Island at all. There’s a lot about it and I know there is an Irish girl in it, isn’t there?“To be honest I’m not even sure what it’s about. Is it couples? I would watch it but I just haven’t got around to it.”Daniel admits he prefers The Chase than Love Island! was last modified: July 11th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnellLove IslandThe Chaselast_img read more

December 21

Humboldt State football knows what’s at stake as it faces winless Simon Fraser

first_imgArcata >> What’s at stake over the next three weeks couldn’t be more clear to the Humboldt State football team.None bigger is the chance to play for a Great Northwest Athletic Conference title in two weeks when Central Washington comes to the Redwood Bowl for what could be a regular-season finale with massive implications attached to it.But before that, there’s still unfinished business to take care of.Over the next two weeks, No. 18 HSU (6-1 overall, 5-1 GNAC) will be playing a pair of …last_img read more

December 21

As fans prepare for farewell to Pence, Blanco ponders future in baseball

first_imgSAN DIEGO–With little left to serve this season, nostalgia will be the dish of choice at AT&T Park next week.When Hunter Pence strolls to the plate, sprints to the outfield and jogs in toward the dugout, fans will stand and cheer his every move, knowing it may be their last opportunity to celebrate a leading figure of the Giants’ golden era.Pence has two rings, but no certainty.He hasn’t publicly stated whether he wants to continue playing baseball next season, but the pending free agent …last_img read more