November 18

Toll abolished through the tunnel of St. Elijah

first_imgOn the first day of the New Year, the toll through the tunnel of St. Elijah was abolished, so from midnight on the first day of the New Year, the sign with the toll sign in front of the tunnel was crossed.About 5 million 400 thousand vehicles have passed through the tunnel so far, and Croatian Motorways has earned about 130 million kuna from that. By the decision of the Government, the management of Sveti Ilija was taken over by Hrvatske ceste, and the tunnel toll was abolished.Due to the abolition of toll collection, the passage through the toll station will take place without stopping, and Hrvatske autoceste points out that temporary traffic regulation will be set for safety reasons because traffic on the access road and tunnel is two-way, all to prevent possible entry of vehicles. in the opposite direction.The prefect of the Split-Dalmatia County, Blaženko Boban, emphasized that from today, citizens on both sides of the tunnel will prosper, as well as entrepreneurs who knew how to pay over 450 thousand kuna in tunnel fees annually. “The raised ramps also symbolically marked the balanced development of Croatia. When we fought for the abolition, one of the arguments was that nowhere in Croatia is access to the highway charged”Said the prefect, referring to the young people of Imotski Krajina who work on the Makarska Riviera and said that it makes no sense to spend a third of their salary on tunnel fees.The Mayor of Makarska, Jure Brkan, pointed out that the abolition of the tunnel toll eliminates traffic jams near the Sv. Ilija, and thus the access of Makaran to the Zagreb-Metković highway will be accelerated. “Makarska is now 15 minutes from the highway, and access is free. I hope, among other things, that we will have even more tourists because of this measure. It was unfair that the tunnel fee has been charged all these years, so I thank the prefect Boban and the prime minister Plenković. Here, citizens spent significant financial resources that could have been invested in something else. Happy New Year”Said Makarska Mayor Jure Brkan.last_img read more

September 25

Maguindanao massacre witness hurt in ambush

first_imgKnown as the Philippines’ worst case of election-related violence, the Maguindanao massacre claimed the lives of 58 people on Nov. 23, 2009.  The massacre was also the single deadliest attack on the press since detailed records were kept, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. After more than nine years of trial, Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes convicted several Ampatuans, including former Datu Unsay mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. and his brothers, Anwar, Sr. and Zaldy, of 57 out of 58 counts of murder last December. (GMA News) Sangki did not sustain gunshot wounds but was injured due to the impact of the vehicle against two cottages [along the road], Santos said. The driver is “50/50 but prognosis is bad,” she said. Police said the suspects are still unidentified. Mohamad Sangki, his driver, and one security personnel from the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) witness protection program were in Tantangan, South Cotabato on their way to the airport on Wednesday morning when they were ambushed, said Nena Santos, the lawyer of several families of the massacre victims. She said they are now in a hospital in Koronadal City. Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he will immediately order an investigation on the incident, adding that he is getting more details about it.center_img “Very bold na ang gustong pumatay kay Mohamad… daylight and with DOJ WPP security pa,” she said. “Sangki is a vital witness in the second wave of prosecution for the Maguindanao massacre, and it is not far-fetched that his ambush today had something to do with the horrible case,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters. MANILA – A key witness in the Maguindanao massacre trial was hurt in an ambush in South Cotabato. A report from the Police Regional Office XII said the driver, identified as Richard Escovilla, was dead on arrival. The other companion of Sangki was identified as Rey Fritch Pontanoza. Thirty-two of the victims were members of the media who had accompanied the group of Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu’s wife to cover the filing of his certificate of candidacy for the governor’s post. “The security was able to return fire, the assassins are now under police hot pursuit,” Santos said.last_img read more

September 18

Newlands scandal born of leadership gulf – Ricky Ponting

first_imgRICKY Ponting has revealed his belief that the road leading Australia to the Newlands scandal had started years before when he became fearful of a decline in the level of senior experience around the national team, to adequately mentor younger players as to how to conduct themselves.Speaking to a fundraising dinner of almost 500 guests for the Chappell Foundation at the SCG on Tuesday night, Ponting said that he could see a link between the anxiety about leadership in the Australian team, that saw him play on for several years after he might easily have retired, and the eventual crisis in South Africa that saw Steven Smith and David Warner banned for a year while stripped of their leadership roles.Cameron Bancroft, a more junior member of the side, was suspended for nine months.Put simply, Ponting said, all well-rounded teams needed senior figures around them who have the ability to “say no” when questions of character, ethics or sharp practice are raised. This was conspicuously absent at the height of the Newlands scandal.“I was a bit worried that with a lot of the experience going out of our team at the same time, that there would be a bit of a void left with experienced players to be able to say ‘no’ basically,” Ponting said. “If I look at where things got at Cape Town I just don’t think there were enough people around that team to say ‘no’ to some of those guys.Things got completely out of control. That’s very much an outsider’s view on it. I had nothing to do with the team really until the last couple of years around some Twenty20 cricket and the World Cup last year.“I probably should have retired three or four years earlier than I did but I was really worried about where the direction of the Australian cricket team was going if I wasn’t around. And I wanted to be around to help Warner and Smith and Nathan Lyon and Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson. I wanted to help them through that initial phase of their international careers because I knew it wasn’t going to be easy for them.”Had Ponting retired at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season when he gave up the captaincy to Michael Clarke, he would have finished with 152 Tests, 12 363 runs and an average of 53.51, with 39 centuries.As it was, he stayed on until midway the Test summer of 2012-13, adding two more hundreds and another nine Test match victories to take his career tally beyond 100.However, at the same time Ponting’s average was steadily eroded to 51.85 by the time of his last match in Perth against South Africa.“I was just a little bit worried with the void that was left on the experience side,” Ponting said. “Every great team that I played in, whether it be a club team or an Australian cricket team or a state team, there was always a lot of old hard heads around just to make sure when the younger guys came in that they understood what it meant to be playing for each of those teams. And if I had have retired … I was worried there wasn’t going to be enough people to point them in the right direction.”Working primarily as a commentator, Ponting kept a professional distance from the Australian side until he began to become involved in some T20 coaching from 2017 onwards, but his closeness to the set-up was greatly increased once his close friend Justin Langer became the senior coach in the wake of the Newlands scandal in 2018.“Having Justin around the national team now, I think we’ve already seen a bit of a change in behaviour and I think we’ve seen the public are really starting to enjoy and embrace the Australian cricket team again,” Ponting told the gathering. “Even looking at (Monday night), the way that David Warner spoke at the Australian Cricket Awards, winding the clock back 12 or 18 months, that wasn’t possible for him to do. I think he did a terrific job. And I think he’s slowly starting to gain a lot of the respect of the Australian public back again.”The Chappell Foundation, which collects funds for homeless youths, raised more than A$400 000 on the night, as Ponting and the foundation’s founder Greg Chappell also took guests on a guided tour of the Australian dressing-room. (ESPN Cricinfo)last_img read more

August 30

Cross-selling in lockdown: what have we learnt?

first_img Share The recent unforeseen hiatus in live sporting events has presented the betting and gaming industry with one of the biggest challenges it has ever had to face, yet the experience has also been a learning curve, writes Pronet Gaming CCO Bobby Longhurst (pictured).The transition of sports bettors to alternative gambling content streams provided us with unique insight into player preferences which would not have otherwise been available – including some surprises. For sportsbook operators that recognised the opportunity to expand their offering with virtuals, esports and additional casino content, this remarkable period has taught invaluable lessons in how to cross-sell.  Despite the sports betting shutdown, many of our partners have been able to attract a number of existing customers to the new products in their offering. Although a proportion of this growth has been organic, the number of transitioning customers has been amplified by efforts to educate sports bettors on alternative content and tailor promotional activity. For esports, a vertical more traditional customers may have been unfamiliar with, education has been key to conversion. Bettors are more inclined to wager on markets that they understand, so promoting esports events on sportsbook platforms first required educating customers on how to bet on them. The virtual sports offering, meanwhile, presented people with a more familiar concept. Football and racing fans have naturally gravitated towards the virtual sport counterpart to continue engaging with a version of their favourite hobbies. What many have been impressed by, however, is the quality of virtual content now on offer. Advances in technology have made for huge improvements to the graphics and mechanics of virtual games in recent times, as well as an increase to the number of formats and betting markets available. As the virtual gaming experience aligns even more closely with that of real-life, the conversion of sports bettors will no doubt continue. In terms of cross-selling to online casino, the effectiveness has largely been dependent on the product offer and presentation. Fast-loading swipe casino games such as roulette and blackjack have been successful in attracting sportsbook customers. As well as seeming more approachable than slots, these traditional table games offer a convenience and quick-fire play which appeals to punters. Moreover, they allow players to seamlessly swipe between casino and sportsbook content, rather than redirecting them away from the main event. As sports events resume, this content will likely continue to serve as a tool to maintain engagement in multiple products at the same time.Looking at these three verticals combined, the overarching learning from recent events is the importance of having a diverse product portfolio. Being overly reliant on one offering has brought significant consequences for businesses throughout the industry, and it is those that have been quick to adapt and diversify which will emerge out the crisis in a better shape. At Pronet, we immediately refocused the user experience of our platform to give greater prominence to alternative products. Taking virtuals as an example, this allowed our partners to market virtual football and racing as though it was prime-time Premier League action and racing from Aintree, thereby offering another form of cross-selling for our operators by introducing players to entry-level RNG offerings.Ensuring these converted customers stick around as sports betting resumes is now a task for the industry as a whole. As the key to player engagement, retention techniques will be more important than ever before. In an ideal world, sports bettors will continue to take part in the form of entertainment they turned to during lockdown, whether it be virtuals, esports or online casino, at the same time as betting on their favourite sporting fixtures. Whether that becomes a reality will depend on the quality of the new gaming experiences offered, combined with a more considered approach as to how content is presented. If what we’ve learnt in recent weeks is applied to cross-selling strategies moving forward, then we’re confident a strong segment of bettors will keep returning to the alternative betting entertainment they enjoyed during this period even when live sports returns. Share Pronet: Understanding the ‘new normal’ for the Premier League July 17, 2020 ESA Gaming: The ‘lightweight’ weapon in an operator’s cross-sell arsenal August 19, 2020 Alessandro Sposito, ESA Gaming: Lightweight games for a heavy impact in Africa July 21, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Related Articleslast_img read more