Fears are growing that this year’s Olympics may be postponed or axed because of the coronavirus pandemic but Japan has been here before — the cancelled summer Games of 1940 were also due to be hosted in Tokyo.Japan’s military aggression in Asia forced the annulment of what became known as the “Missing Olympics” after the Games were switched to Helsinki before finally being scrapped because of World War II.Tokyo officials originally touted a bid for the 1940 Games as a way to show the city had recovered from the devastating 1923 earthquake, according to author David Goldblatt in his history of the Olympics entitled “The Games”. In much the same way, Japan has framed the 2020 Olympics as the “Recovery Games” — a chance to show the country is back on its feet after the catastrophic 2011 triple disaster of earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown.Tokyo’s 1940 bid was spearheaded by Jigoro Kano, the founder of modern judo and first Japanese member of the International Olympic Committee, who stressed the importance of bringing the Games to Asia for the first time.”I carry a grave resolve. The Olympics should naturally come to Japan. If they don’t, the reason for this must be something unjust,” said Kano in his plea to the IOC.The Japanese had a special reason for wanting to celebrate 1940, as it coincided with the 2,600th year since the enthronement of the nation’s legendary first emperor, Jimmu. Topics : ‘Cultural diplomacy’Before the bid had been tabled, Japan in 1931 invaded the Chinese province of Manchuria and two years later withdrew from the League of Nations — the precursor to the United Nations — after the body refused to sanction the occupation.The Olympic bid was therefore also an attempt to shore up international diplomacy, according to Asato Ikeda, assistant professor at Fordham University, New York, who has written about the 1940 Games.Japan’s bid was “part of its international cultural diplomacy in order to ameliorate the relationship with the Western democratic nations, especially Britain and the United States,” Ikeda wrote in an essay in the Asia-Pacific Journal.As preparations for the Games gathered pace, a schedule was drawn up and posters were printed. The Opening Ceremony was set for September 21, 1940.There were some hiccups though, including questions about whether the Emperor could declare the Games open, as the Japanese then held him to be semi-divine and therefore unable to be seen and heard by ordinary citizens. Tokyo launched an official bid in 1932 and found themselves up against Rome and Helsinki.Japan engaged in a fierce lobbying campaign that included pleading with Italy’s fascist dictator Benito Mussolini to step aside in their favor.”In the you-scratch-my-back kind of deal that has become the norm in international sports politics, Mussolini announced with unusual candor, ‘We will waive our claim for 1940 in favor of Japan if Japan will support Italy’s effort to get the XIIIth Olympiad for Rome in 1944,” wrote Goldblatt.With just Tokyo and Helsinki left standing, the IOC plumped for the Japanese capital by 37 votes to 26. ‘No other course’As diplomatic pressure grew on Japan from outside, there was increasing clamour inside the country for cash to be diverted for military purposes.Japanese diplomats at the time voiced concern in cables back to Tokyo that powers such as Britain and the United States could boycott the Games over Japan’s war-like activity.Yet, in words familiar to those following the story of the 2020 Games, Tokyo insisted the show would go on.Barker cites a cable from Tokyo City Hall to the IOC which said: “The citizens of Tokyo are doing their utmost to make the 1940 Games a success.” But the Japanese Olympic Committee eventually bowed to the inevitable and forfeited in July 1938, saying what they euphemistically called “the trouble with China” had made staging the Games impossible.”The organizing committee and the people of Japan were deeply disappointed in having to give up the Games, but, in the circumstances, no other course was open,” the “Olympic News” bulletin published in Tokyo wrote at the time.”With the worsening international relations and increasing military activities in the Asian continent, the cancellation might not have been that surprising,” Ikeda told AFP.The Winter Games, due to be held in the northern Japanese city of Sapporo, were also scrapped and the war put paid to the proposed rescheduling in the Finnish capital.The next time the Olympic torch was lit was for London in 1948, four years after the city had originally been due to host. But Japan, as a defeated power, was excluded and Helsinki staged the next summer Games in 1952.Tokyo finally became the first Asian city to host the Olympic Games in 1964.
IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National Point Standings Through Sept. 26 Final point races of the 2013 season will be Sunday, Sept. 29.IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds – 1. Jesse Sobbing, Glenwood, Iowa, 1,194; 2. William Gould, Calera, Okla., 1,193; 3. Keith White, Little River Academy, Texas, 1,189; 4. Zane DeVilbiss, Farmington, N.M., 1,183; 5. Chris Fleming, Union Springs, N.Y., 1,172; 6. Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., 1,171; 7. Chris Abelson, Sioux City, Iowa, 1,168; 8. Kevan Cook, Constantia, N.Y., 1,166; 9. Jeremy Frenier, Fort Morgan, Colo., 1,151; 10. Ronn Lauritzen, Jesup, Iowa, 1,150; 11. Matt Roberts, Afton, N.Y., 1,143; 12. Josh McGaha, Abilene, Texas, 1,140; 13. Cayden Carter, Oskaloosa, Iowa, 1,138; 14. Corey Lagroon, Salina, Kan., 1,134; 15. Luke Wanninger, Minburn, Iowa, 1,130; 16. Jimmy Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, 1,129; 17. Dylan Smith, Osceola, Neb., 1,128; 18. Brandon Beckendorf, Danube, Minn., 1,126; 19. Mark Schulte, Delhi, Iowa, 1,125; 20. Tommy Fain, Abilene, Texas, 1,124. IMCA Eagle Motorsports RaceSaver Sprint Cars – 1. John Leon Ricketts, Burleson, Texas, 778; 2. Jeb Sessums, Burleson, Texas, 773; 3. Chad Wilson, North Richland Hills, Texas, 737; 4. Jason Howell, Fort Worth, Texas, 733; 5. Dustin Woods, Forney, Texas, 725; 6. Justin Fifield, Mesquite, Texas, 722; 7. Herbert R. Wood, Kennedale, Texas, 702; 8. Chase Brewer, Springtown, Texas, 665; 9. Shane Gloeckler, Joshua, Texas, 643; 10. D.J. Estes, Mansfield, Texas, 621; 11. Mark Klis, Waxahachie, Texas, 617; 12. Colby Estes, Mansfield, Texas, 595; 13. Michael Stien, Ceylon, Minn., 593; 14. Brett Allen, Gaylord, Minn., 587; 15. Mike Boston, Alvo, Neb., 585; 16. Ed Keaton, Midlothian, Texas, 580; 17. Terry Richards, Denton, Neb., 551; 18. Aaron Wisch, Arlington, Minn., 550; 19. Ron Guentzel, St. Peter, Minn., 540; 20. Scott Petersen, Irving, Texas, 531.IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars – 1. Brandon Czarapata, Appleton, Wis., and Mike Nichols, Harlan, Iowa, both 1,194; 3. Matt Guillaume, Haslet, Texas, 1,192; 4. Damon Murty, Chelsea, Iowa, 1,185; 5. Gabe Tucker, Carbon, Texas, 1,184; 6. Jeff Tubbs, Colby, Kan., 1,174; 7. Jason Batt, Harker Heights, Texas, 1,171; 8. Donavon Smith, Lake City, Iowa, 1,170; 9. John J. Heinz, Green Bay, Wis., 1,168; 10. David Smith, Lake City, Iowa, and Abe Huls, Carthage, Ill., both 1,161; 12. John Emerson, Waterloo, Iowa, 1,157; 13. Jay Schmidt, Tama, Iowa, 1,155; 14. Derek Green, Granada, Minn., 1,152; 15. Jason Cook, Mount Pleasant, Iowa, 1,149; 16. Dan Mackenthun, Hamburg, Minn., 1,148; 17. Casey Werkmeister, North Platte, Neb., 1,140; 18. Brian Blessington, Breda, Iowa, 1,137; 19. Rod Snellenberger, Pulaski, Wis., 1,133; 20. Tristan Carman, Killeen, Texas, 1,132. IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks – 1. Shannon Anderson, Urbandale, Iowa, and Devin Smith, Lake City, Iowa, both 1,200; 3. Jason Wilkinson, Neligh, Neb., 1,194; 4. Andy Roller, Waco, Texas, 1,184; 5. Chris Luloff, Independence, Iowa, 1,179; 6. Jeremy Oliver, Chilton, Texas, and Tiffany Bittner, Norfolk, Neb., both 1,170; 8. Cody Graham, Hays, Kan., Justin Luinenburg, Reading, Minn., and Eric Stanton, Hartford, Iowa, each 1,157; 11. Benji Irvine, Cedar Falls, Iowa, 1,152; 12. Kenny Champ, Clarinda, Iowa, 1,147; 13. Jason Kohl, Missouri Valley, Iowa, 1,145; 14. Brandon Beeter, Minot, N.D., and Brian Happel, Van Horne, Iowa, both 1,142; 16. Brian Stich, Topeka, Kan., 1,141; 17. Cory Gansen, Clear Lake, Iowa, and Colby Langenberg, Norfolk, Neb., both 1,140; 19. Austin Hauswirth, Havelock, Iowa, 1,139; 20. Brock Beeter, Minot, N.D., 1,137.Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods – 1. Kyle Prauner, Norfolk, Neb., 1,197; 2. Matthew Looft, Swea City, Iowa, 1,192; 3. Nick Roberts, Des Moines, Iowa, 1,191; 4. Tony Dunker, Quincy, Ill., 1,187; 5. Tyler Frye, Belleville, Kan., 1,186; 6. Doug Smith, Rockwell City, Iowa, 1,178; 7. Joel Rust, Grundy Center, Iowa, 1,168; 8. Joshua Long, Little Suamico, Wis., 1,163; 9. Carter VanDenBerg, Oskaloosa, Iowa, 1,161; 10. Nick Spainhoward, Bakersfield, Calif., 1,142; 11. Cody Hokenstad , Shawano, Wis., 1,140; 12. Bryan Herrick, Curtis, Neb., 1,139; 13. Danny Dvorak, Vinton, Iowa, Brett Lowry, Montezuma, Iowa, and Nelson Vollbrecht, Norfolk, Neb., each 1,133; 16. Clay Sellard, Bucklin, Kan., 1,128; 17. Eric Elliott, Boone, Iowa, 1,127; 18. Kurtis Pihl, Lindsborg, Kan., 1,119; 19. Chad Dolan, Gibbon, Neb., 1,118; 20. Austin Moyer, Dubuque, Iowa, 1,116.Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center Southern SportMods – 1. Gabe Tucker, Carbon, Texas, 1,190; 2. G.W. Egbert IV, Belton, Texas, 1,187; 3. Dean Abbey, Waco, Texas, 1,181; 4. Jake Upchurch, Grand Prairie, Texas, 1,158; 5. Chad Hertel, Abilene, Texas, 1,154; 6. Brad Shirley, Springtown, Texas, 1,139; 7. Kevin Rutherford, Flower Mound, Texas, 1,126; 8. David Goode Jr., Copperas Cove, Texas, 1,102; 9. Alexander Hickham, Conroe, Texas, 1,081; 10. Brian J. Carey, Aztec, N.M., 1,067; 11. Jarrett Anthony Roberts, Temple, Texas, 1,052; 12. Jon White Jr., Red Oak, Texas, and Jeffrey Abbey, Comanche, Texas, both 1,047; 14. Kyle Lovejoy, Burleson, Texas, 1,042; 15. Michael Newhard, Greenville, Texas, 1,037; 16. Kevin Green, Robinson, Texas, 1,028; 17. Kenny Ware, Belton, Texas, 1,007; 18. Randy Doyle, Killeen, Texas, 998; 19. Justin Shaw, Sweetwater, Texas, 997; 20. Jeff Shepperd, Elm Mott, Texas, 992. Mach-1 Sport Compacts – 1. Ramsey Meyer, Pierce, Neb., 1,164; 2. Nate Coopman, Mankato, Minn., 1,146; 3. Bill Whalen Jr., Riverside, Iowa, 1,145; 4. Cody Thompson, Sioux City, Iowa, 1,127; 5. Shannon Pospisil, Norfolk, Neb., 1,125; 6. Merv Chandler, Urbana, Iowa, 1,115; 7. Kimberly Abbott, Camp Point, Ill., 1,091; 8. Stephanie Forsberg, Slayton, Minn., 1,090; 9. Shawn Cooney, Des Moines, Iowa, 1,086; 10. Jay DeVries, Spencer, Iowa, 1,064; 11. John Whalen, Ainsworth, Iowa, 1,051; 12. Michael Reicks, New Hampton, Iowa, 1,041; 13. A.J. Witten, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1,025; 14. Brooke Fluckiger, Columbus, Neb., 1,022; 15. Austen Becerra, Carthage, Ill., 1,008; 16. Scott Brown, Bellevue, Neb., 989; 17. Kaitlyn DeVries, Spencer, Iowa, 983; 18. Brandon Lambert, Carthage, Ill., 973; 19. Taylor Kuper, Algona, Iowa, 965; 20. David Dembowski, Grand Island, Neb., 953. West Coast Super Stocks – 1. Jason Pike, Pahrump, Nev., 711; 2. Clifton King Jr., Pahrump, Nev., 538; 3. Eric Shenberger, Pahrump, Nev., 454; 4. Lonnie Welch, Bakersfield, Calif., 453; 5. Gary Dutton, Bakersfield, Calif., 434; 6. Tim Randolph, Santa Maria, Calif., 387; 7. Joey Claborn, Santa Maria, Calif., 329; 8. Toby Randolph, Nipomo, Calif., 313; 9. Ray Marroquin, Santa Maria, Calif., 302; 10. Dusty Park, Pahrump, Nev., 292; 11. Bryan Wulfenstein, Pahrump, Nev., 283; 12. Chad Weber, Santa Maria, Calif., 278; 13. Rob Gilbertson, Santa Maria, Calif., 258; 14. Michael Frazier, Santa Maria, Calif., 249; 15. Jim Wulfenstein, Pahrump, Nev., and Anthony DeBiase, Pahrump, Nev., both 220; 17. Joe Wabsis, Pahrump, Nev., 196; 18. Duffy Otteson, Tonopah, Nev., 195; 19. Chad Shaffer, Santa Maria, Calif., 192; 20. Cory Little, Pahrump, Nev., 191.
The Batesville Boys Freshman Basketball team lost their first game in the Batesville Invitational to Jac-Cen-Del 46-30. The Bulldogs were led by Willy Sherwood with 10. In the Consolation game, the Bulldogs (4-5) faced Hauser and won 48-40. Nate Vankirk led the team with 16, followed by Ben Harmeyer with 9 and Cole Pride with 7. The Freshman Boys will play Whiteland away on January 4th.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Scott Henderson.
THE following is an edited version of a letter sent by a solicitor on behalf of Mr de Dietrich six weeks ago.Dear SirsIt has been brought to our attention that you propose….. to publish an item in the course of which our above client will be named as being involved in a suspected “Ponzi scheme”, that is, a sophisticated fraud. According to our information and instructions, it will be claimed, among other things, that our client has been involved in defrauding, to a substantial extent, a number of “investors”, by falsely and untruthfully promising an unusually high rate of return on “investments” made.We are instructed to place on the record that any such allegations are wholly without foundation, are totally inaccurate, and are grossly defamatory.Our client has not been asked for any comment in relation to the matters, and had he been, he would have been in a position to advise you of the baseless nature of your information.We are instructed that, had the most rudimentary enquiries been made by yourselves, it would have been clear that no complaint of fraud has been made against our client. We are instructed to demand that any material relating to our client be shown to him, in advance of publication, for comment, and for an opportunity to correct potential inaccuracies.We are further instructed that if defamatory material is published notwithstanding this correspondence, we are to seek immediate relief from the High Court, to include injunctive relief and damages.The writer can be contacted on 086 XXX XXXX should you wish to discuss this matter further.Yours sincerelyXXXXXXXX Donegaldaily.com has contacted the lawyer to ask him if his client plans to hand himself over to the authorities in Northern Ireland on the foot of the warrant for his arrest.FRANCOIS INVESTIGATION: WHAT HIS LAWYER SAID LAST MONTH was last modified: January 21st, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Related posts:Venezuela opposition drops deputies to break deadlock Venezuelan protests seek Maduro’s ouster Venezuelan lawmaker says in Costa Rica that her people eat from garbage trucks Maduro says he escaped drone ‘assassination’ attempt, blames Colombia Impoverished Venezuelans have reacted with fury after videos of President Nicolas Maduro gorging on succulent pieces of meat in a restaurant owned by a celebrity Turkish chef went viral.“This is once in a lifetime,” enthuses Maduro with his wife Cilia Flores as Nusret Gokce, a social media star chef who goes by the name Salt Bae, performs his signature theatrical preparation of slices of meat at one of his restaurants in Istanbul.Back home, Venezuelans face food shortages while a group of the country’s top universities conducted a study that found 87 percent of the population were living in poverty in 2017 and 60 percent of people had lost an average of 11 kilograms (24 pounds) due to a diet that was lacking in protein, one of the primary nutrients contained in meat.“Chavismo is asking China to borrow money because you can’t pay your debts and then going to luxury restaurants,” wrote social media expert Luis Carlos Diaz on Twitter in a broadside at Maduro’s left-wing populist politics adopted from late predecessor Hugo Chavez.A main course in Gokce’s restaurant costs between $70 and $250 — equivalent to between two and eight months salary in Venezuela on the minimum wage.Mientras tanto el gobernante de Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, visita al reconocido chef, Salt Bae, en Turquía y disfruta de un delicioso manjar junto a la “primera combatiente” Cilia Flores. #DimeAlgo pic.twitter.com/tGieG9GV8J— Yusnaby Pérez (@Yusnaby) September 17, 2018Celebrities including Portuguese football icon Cristiano Ronaldo and Hollywood star Leonardo Di Caprio have eaten at Gokce’s restaurant.“We shared a meal in a famous restaurant. I send a greeting from here to Nusret, who looked after us personally. We chatted, enjoyed our time with him … He loves Venezuela,” said Maduro on a television and radio broadcast in Venezuela after returning to Caracas on Monday following a trip to China, which included a stopover in Istanbul where he was invited to dine with Turkish authorities.On Saturday, Maduro had announced the trip to China was fruitful as he had secured commitments from Beijing to help fund the oil industry that Venezuela is almost entirely reliant upon.Gokce had published videos of Maduro’s visit on his social media accounts thanking Maduro but soon deleted them from Instagram after he was inundated with thousands of angry messages.In one of the videos, Maduro is seen sucking on a thick cigar taken from a box bearing his name engraved on a golden label, while receiving a T-shirt emblazoned with Gokce’s face.‘Worker president’During the visit, former bus driver Maduro, who likes to style himself as the “worker president,” was surrounded by armed Turkish guards.“Eating meat and smoking cigars… with the dollars that he refuses to use to buy medicines and food: WORKER PRESIDENT,” said former government loyalist Nicmer Evans, now a leader of the opposition Frente Amplio.Venezuela is struggling with an economic crisis in which the International Monetary Fund predicts inflation will hit one million percent this year.Four years of recession has seen 1.6 million people flee Venezuela since 2015, according to the United Nations, creating a migration crisis in neighboring and nearby countries. Facebook Comments