Advertisement Comment The German may find himself on the bench on Sunday (Picture: Getty)Despite returning to the first team in recent weeks, Mesut Ozil is in danger of being benched for Arsenal’s clash with Manchester United on Sunday.The German started in Thursday’s Europa League defeat to Rennes, coming off after 70 minutes, while he was sensational in the thumping win over Bournemouth at the end of February.However, Ozil has missed a number of big matches this season, only coming off the bench at Wembley against Spurs and playing no part in trips to the Etihad, Anfield and Old Trafford. 1 min. story It is claimed that the Spaniard has three main concerns: that Ozil does not work hard enough off the ball, does not track back and even pulls out of tackles.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityEmery has been keen to try and improve the physicality and aggression of Arsenal’s performances, particularly in big games, and Ozil simply does not suit those requirements.The team will already be without Lucas Torreira in the heart of midfield after his three-game suspension for a straight red card against Tottenham, giving even less room to carry the likes of Ozil. Why Arsenal boss Unai Emery is reluctant to start Mesut Ozil against Manchester United About Connatix V67539 Full Screen Emery has avoided using Ozil in high intensity matches (Picture: Getty)Now The Times report that Ozil is in danger of being benched even though the side are playing at home on Sunday, with Unai Emery still having doubts over his highest earner.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT Emery has a few selection dilemmas as he tries to stop United’s unbeaten run (Picture: Getty)That said, Emery has no complaints about Ozil’s application in training after overcoming his injuries and illness over the festive period, and he is well liked by the rest of the dressing room.If Ozil is left on the bench, it would be the 19th time in Arsenal’s last 26 games since early November that he has failed to start – though the Gunners’ attack will at least be boosted by the return of Alexandre Lacazette, who was suspended against Rennes in midweek.More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors PLAY Video Settings Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 9 Mar 2019 10:41 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link697Shares
The No. 1 USC Trojans are set to play in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship Tournament this weekend at UCLA’s Spieker Aquatics Center.After an 8-7 upset over the previously No. 1 UCLA Bruins in the season finale, USC will be tested once again against Stanford, Penn State Behrend and — if the Trojans win their first two games — potentially Cal or UCLA.Junior driver Blake Edwards, who netted the game-winning goal over UCLA in the final frame last Saturday, is excited about a potential rematch with the Bruins at their own pool. “UCLA is a fantastic team, and they really set the benchmark for all competition. The physicality of that game just demonstrated how difficult it was to beat them,” Edwards said. “You can never write off UCLA. Coming off the loss, they’re going to be extremely motivated. Playing them at their home pool will be a whole different story.”Against the MPSF this season, USC holds an untouched 3-0 record with victories over Stanford, Cal and UCLA. USC’s lone loss, however, did come against Cal in the Mountain Pacific Invitational, which was deemed a non-conference tournament. Since then, the Men of Troy have rattled off 10-straight victories by an average margin of victory of over 11 goals. Junior goalie McQuin Baron, the MPSF Player of the Week, has played lights out during that stretch, with a per-game average of 9.75 saves and just 4.42 goals allowed. Baron was especially clutch in the Trojans’ win over the Bruins as he capped off a nine-save performance with a save in the final seconds to secure a narrow one-goal victory. As much as Baron and the USC defense have shut down opposing offenses, freshman two-meter Matt Maier and the Trojans’ scoring attack have been equally as dominant down the stretch.“We felt pretty confident coming off our big win against Cal,” Maier said. “We had a feeling that our time is now. We came into [the game against UCLA] with the intention of getting back at them for beating us the past two years.”Against Stanford, a team that has allowed 6.18 goals this season, the Men of Troy netted eight goals thanks to Maier, Edwards (2), junior driver Grant Stein (2), freshmen drivers Thomas Dunstan and Marin Dasic and junior utility James Walters. Coming off of three-straight one-goal losses to top-ranked programs UCLA, Pacific and Cal, the Cardinal are hungry for an upset. Offensively, the Cardinal have averaged 11.1 goals per game as Blake Parrish (40), Mitchell Mendoza (29) and Cody Smith (29) continue to put up big numbers.Stanford goalie Oliver Lewis has impressed with an average of 10.0 saves and 6.83 goals allowed per game.As for USC’s second opponent, the Penn State Behrend Lions are still winless after 23 games this season. Along with averaging 7.69 goals on offense, the Lions have given up 428 total goals this year (18.6 goals per game). Opposing offenses have scored 20 or more goals in seven of the 23 games. Penn State Behrend nearly overcame Caltech with four goals apiece from Andre Sardaryzadeh and Isaak Hatopp, but lost the contest due to the Beavers’ offensive surge.Ultimately, USC’s focus will be on winning the MPSF Championship game in order to advance to its 12th-straight NCAA tournament appearance. “We have to treat every game like it’s the biggest game of our careers,” Maier said. “If we go into a game with that 7 and prepare the same way, if we can maintain that attitude, we can beat anyone.”
Government will be moving to hire overseas experts in the oil and gas industry to staff the department of energy, which falls under the Ministry of the Presidency, President David Granger has revealed.While admitting that there might be some challenges in getting the right skillset of people, he thinks if Guyana attracts the best, then it stands to benefit tremendously from this sector.Guyana’s new Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Thailand, Surasak Suparat, presenting his Letters of Credence to President David Granger as Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge and the Ministry’s Director General Audrey Waddell look on“It is bound to be a challenge because this is an international industry and we are aiming at a world-class industry. So, we are aiming to get the best persons,” he explained.According to the Head of State, Guyana has no experience in the field and because there is only a small petroleum unit which is now in the Natural Resources Ministry, there is need for expansion.“And we obviously have to attract the best people from around the world. So we are not attempting to avoid that responsibility. We will ensure that those things happen,” he added.In providing an update on the setting up of this department, the Head of State said a road map is being developed so as to attract the best in the business to work for the local oil sector.“We have to identify personnel, we have to identify buildings, and we have to start advertising to attract the quality personnel that can lead this important department into the future,” he explained.The President said his Government is being very careful about its approach because it wants the best outcome for this new industry. He said by the end of May there will be some further announcements.Cabinet in March officially approved the creation of an energy department that would now oversee Guyana’s oil and gas sector. Ministerial responsibility for the sector was stripped from Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman and given to Minister of State Joseph Harmon.Government said the reason for this change was mainly to bring some organisational structure to the sector that will look at legislation to be introduced, negotiation with potential investors, exploration and production licences, public communication, and the engagement of experts, among others.They also assured that energy-related responsibilities lying with Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson would remain untouched for now, especially responsibility for the Guyana Power and Light.Trotman, and indeed the Government, has received much criticism for the way the budding oil sector is being handled. There have, in the past, even been calls to have Trotman removed from his position.The main reason for this was because of the discovery that Government had stashed in a private account in the Central Bank, US$18 million it had received from ExxonMobil as a signing bonus.Though this discovery was made since last year, the Government has made no attempt to have the money placed into the Consolidated Fund. Many have argued that Article 216 of the Guyana Constitution dictates that all public revenue be placed in the Consolidated Fund.Trotman was also criticised for his handling of the oil contracts between Government and ExxonMobil. Even the Government’s own adviser on petroleum, Dr Jan Mangal, has been sceptical of Guyana’s two per cent royalty on earnings from oil sales, which he said is low compared to global standards.While Dr Mangal has not objected to the 50 per cent profit share Guyana will receive, he does believe that the generous tax concessions and two per cent royalty is nothing to boast about. Others have also come out criticising Trotman, including outspoken Chartered Accountant Christopher Ram, who believes Trotman’s handling of the oil sector could lead to future disaster.