October 18

Gary Neville predicts when Chelsea will sack Maurizio Sarri

first_imgGary Neville predicts when Chelsea will sack Maurizio Sarri Comment Metro Sport ReporterSunday 3 Feb 2019 11:50 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link758Shares Advertisement Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri (Picture: Getty)Gary Neville says he would be ‘surprised’ if Maurizio Sarri was still in charge of Chelsea at the start of next season.Sarri blasted his players following Chelsea’s defeat to Arsenal last month, claiming the team was difficult to motivate.The Blues were subsequently smashed 4-0 by Bournemouth, although Sarri’s side returned to winning ways this weekend, putting five goals past struggling Huddersfield Town.Sarri is the 13th managerial appointment by Roman Abramovich but Manchester United legend Neville cannot see the Italian remaining at Stamford Bridge over the summer.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityHe told Sky Sports: ‘I don’t think Chelsea will sack him during the season but the warning signs are there which make you think it would be surprising if it went past the summer.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘Not because I want him to leave – I think he’s doing a good job – but looking at it he probably realises the job he is in.‘He’s had a look at the players and sees the players are not doing what he wants them to do.‘They never probably will. The maximum any manager gets out of those Chelsea players is one year. That’s the nature of the club.center_img Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville (Picture: Getty)‘No manager can maintain that job for a long time. No manager has control. The manager should have control and be the voice of the football club. But there’s so much politics going on.’New signing Gonzalo Higuain scored two goals in Chelsea’s thrashing over Huddersfield in only his second appearance for the west London outfit.On the Argentine striker, Sarri said: ‘Higuain is improving. He wasn’t physically at the top when he arrived, because he had a back problem and wasn’t involved, so only played a few matches.‘He is a great player. Apart from the goals, he is really very suitable to play very close to Eden.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Chelsea 5-0 Huddersfield: Maurizio Sarri press conferenceTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 8:05FullscreenChelsea 5-0 Huddersfield: Maurizio Sarri press conferencehttps://metro.co.uk/video/chelsea-5-0-huddersfield-maurizio-sarri-press-conference-1855162/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. Advertisementlast_img read more

September 21

O’Neill building for bright future

first_img Indeed, the former Shamrock Rovers boss has won just once in 14 matches since taking over from Nigel Worthington but his diligent work with Northern Ireland’s age group sides and his commitment to blooding a new batch of senior internationals persuaded his employers of his value. “I was extremely keen to stay. The contract actually wasn’t a major thing, it was quite straightforward because the discussions we had were that everybody at the association wanted me to continue,” O’Neill told Press Association Sport. “I’ve been working for two years now and I want to continue that development of the team and the squad and hopefully make sure we have better results in qualifying next time. “When I took the job on I knew the situation: at this moment in time there is no shortcut. The players we have available are the players we have available and we have to mould them into a team. “It’s not as though I can bring in 10 or 11 new faces but this is a relatively young squad and I’ve already introduced some relatively inexperienced players. Hopefully one or two younger ones will come through to join them in the next couple of years. “Coming into the job I knew I wasn’t just managing an international team. We’ve restructured the age level groups, we’ve been getting the right people into the jobs at that level and I’ve been assisting them with whatever they need. That will continue. “When I was appointed Northern Ireland manager I was honoured to have been chosen to manage my country and I am extremely happy to have agreed a new two-year deal.” IFA president Jim Shaw has been a vocal supporter of O’Neill during his tenure, and he said: “I am delighted that Michael has agreed a two-year extension to his contract. “I have no doubt that he will be able to build on the work he has already done and will take us forward in the Euro 2016 campaign. “Michael is a true professional who has passion and pride, something which he showed as a player for his country and now as a manager, and I believe he is the right man for the job of Northern Ireland manager.” O’Neill will be without Palermo striker Kyle Lafferty, whose wife is due to give birth around the date of the Turkey clash, as well as injured duo Craig Cathcart and Corry Evans, but otherwise has a full-strength panel available to him. Press Association Contract talks between O’Neill and the IFA board were concluded on Tuesday, meaning the match against Turkey on November 15 has been recast from mid-season friendly to step one in the national side’s Euro 2016 campaign. O’Neill named a strong 20-man squad for that match less than an hour after it was confirmed that he would be staying in his post and he believes everybody is pulling in the right direction to improve on a fifth-placed finish in World Cup qualifying. center_img Michael O’Neill is ready to build on the lessons of his first term as Northern Ireland manager after being handed a two-year extension by the Irish Football Association. last_img read more