October 19

Coronavirus pandemic accelerating with Americas worst, warns WHO

first_imgTedros, whose leadership of the WHO has been severely criticized by US President Donald Trump, urged people to maintain social distancing and “extreme vigilance.”As well as the Americas, a large number of new cases were coming from South Asia and the Middle East, Tedros added.WHO emergencies expert Mike Ryan drew attention to the situation in Brazil, where he said there had been 1,230 additional COVID-19 deaths in the previous 24 hours.About 12 percent of infections in Brazil involved healthcare workers, he added, praising their bravery. Brazil has the world’s worst outbreak outside the United States, with 978,142 confirmed cases and 47,748 deaths.’Difficult journey’ to vaccineWith many nations easing restrictions but fearful of a second wave of infections, Ryan urged a gradual and scientific approach.”Exiting lockdowns must be done carefully, in a step-wise manner, and must be driven by the data,” he said. “If don’t know where it is the chances are the virus will surprise you.”Ryan said the resurgence of new clusters did not necessarily mean a second wave, while “second peaks” were also possible in one wave. The emergencies expert praised Germany, China and South Korea for their handling of the pandemic.With trials underway around the world to find medicines and a vaccine for COVID-19, WHO officials warned that large-scale testing would be needed with side-effects carefully monitored.”Although it is not impossible to find a vaccine … it’s going to be a very difficult journey,” Tedros said.Topics : The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday’s 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of those in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.”The world is in a new and dangerous phase,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from WHO headquarters in Geneva. “The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible.”More than 8.53 million people have been reported infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 453,834​ have died, a Reuters tally showed as of 1326 GMT on Friday.last_img read more

September 28

Top Six Largest Boxships

first_imgMOL Triumph, also a 2017-built ultra large containership has taken the number three position. With length of 400m, breadth 58.8m, and depth of 32.8m, the newbuilding is the first of four 20,150 teu containerships ordered by MOL in February 2015 from SHI. The sea giant is already halfway through its maiden voyage to Europe within THE Alliance’s FE2 service as it is currently in Hamburg. And last, but not least, is the behemoth 19,100 teu CSCL Globe. The megaship, also built by a South Korean shipbuilder, Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI), measures 400 m in length, 58.6 m in width and 30.5 m in depth. The vessel is as large as four soccer fields, and is deployed on the Asia-Europe trade loop. The ship belongs to a batch of five same-sized ships owned by China Shipping Container Lines (CSCL).According to Alphaliner, a total of 54 units of 18,300-21,400 teu ships of 23 rows breadth and 24 bays length has been delivered to date, with a further 51 units due for delivery over the next two years.All the ships of above 18,000 teu share similar dimensions, each with a breadth of 58.60-59.00 m allowing to stow 23 rows of containers on deck and 21 rows in holds.  They also have a similar length of 395-400 m, that fits 24 bays of 40’ containers.However, each series can stow either 11 or 12 standard containers under deck (depending on hull depth), as well as a similar number of tiers on deck, with differing lashing bridge designs. Each also has different bay distributions due to the different placement of the deckhouse and engine room and funnel, Alphaliner added. The world’s fifth largest containership is the 2015-built MSC Oscar boasting 19,224 teus and 19,362 dwts. Built by DSME, the vessel’s size is the equivalent of four soccer fields, featuring 395.4 m in length. MSC Oscar is the first of the series of six ultra large container ships (ULCS) of Olympic Series. The boxship is 59m wide with a draft of 16m. Initially specified at 18,000 teus, the ship was expanded during the building phase to add an extra tier above decks. Starting with the latest addition to the global fleet of super-sized containerships, the recently-christened 21,413 teu OOCL Hong Kong has taken the title of the largest ship in the world based on its advertised nominal container intake.However, the sea giant features 191,317 in dwt capacity, considerably lower from some of its following counterparts. The behemoth was built by South Korean Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI). Boasting a length of 399.9 m and a width of 58.8 m, the boxship will serve the Asia-Europe trade lane as part of the LL1 service. Five more of its sister ships are being built for the company at SHI and they are scheduled for delivery later in 2017. The 20,568 teu Madrid Maersk has secured the second place on the list based on the teu capacity, however it still holds the crown when it comes to dwt as it features 210,009 dwt capacity. Built by SHI’s compatriot Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME), the colossal boxship has a length of 399 m and a width of 58.6 m. Madrid Maersk belongs to the 2nd generation of Maersk Line’s Triple-E class of vessels and is the first of 11 ships ordered from DSME back in 2015. The latter part of our list continues with the 2015-built 19,870 teu Barzan, the container shipping industry’s first LNG-ready ultra-large container vessel, and the largest boxship in United Arab Shipping Company’s (UASC) fleet. Barzan has an overall length of 400 m, breadth of 58.68 m, depth of 30.6 m and a draught of 16 m. The Barzan is deployed on UASC’s AEC1 service between Asia and North Europe and is the first of a series of six 18,000+size teu ULCVs acquired by UASC for the Asia – Europe trade. World Maritime News Staff; Image Courtesy: OOCL, Shipspotting: TARBATNESS; MOL; MSC; CSCL,last_img read more

September 25

As Indonesia’s forests burn, haze clouds parts of Visayas, Mindanao

first_imgNearby, Singapore and Malaysia have both choked in a dense haze all week, with air quality reaching unhealthy levels. Manila — Parts of the Visayas and Mindanao are seeing hazy skies amid neighboring Indonesia’s forest fires, officials said. However, the EMB has warned Sunday that intense forest fires in Sumatra and Kalimantan in recent weeks could cause “high levels of air pollution” to be blown towards the southern part of the Philippines in the coming days. The EMB’s regional offices are conducting air quality tests to determine whether pollution has reached dangerous levels. This would not be the first time that haze from Indonesia has reached the Philippines. In 2015, haze — made up of fine dust, smoke or light vapor that obscures part of the atmosphere — clouded southern Mindanao and reached all the way to Bohol. Air quality in the towns of General Santos City, Koronadal City and Tupi in South Cotabato was in “good and fair condition” as of Saturday.center_img Health officials then warned that haze may lead to eye irritation, itchy and runny nose, sneezing, dry throat and coughs. The fires were allegedly caused by farmers using slash and burn techniques to clear the ecologically rich land — the same practice that led to uncontrollable fires in the Brazilian Amazon this summer. (CNN Philippines) Regional offices of the Environment Management Bureau (EMB) have confirmed the existence of haze in Central Visayas and SOCCSKSARGEN, but have not linked this directly to the Indonesia fires. Intense forest fires have raged across the Indonesian regions of Sumatra and Kalimantan in recent weeks. More than 930,000 hectares of land have been razed, hundreds of residents evacuated, and more than 9,000 personnel have been deployed to battle the flames, according to CNN Indonesia.last_img read more

December 29

Portugal star Andre Gomes plays down link to Jose Mourinho’s Man United

first_img1 Andre Gomes in action for Valencia Manchester United target Andre Gomes has distanced himself from a move to the club – insisting his focus is solely on the Euros with Portugal.With United expected to announce Jose Mourinho as their new manager this week, rumours of a potential switch to Old Trafford for his fellow countryman Gomes have intensified.But the £49m-rated playmaker insists there has been no contact from United and refused to discuss his future while on international duty.“It’s not important at this point of time”, he told Portuguese outlet DN Sport.“We are all Portuguese at the moment, and that’s the only interest I will talk about.”last_img read more