August 28

Gianni Infantino elected Fifa President

first_imgGianni Infantini has been elected as the man to replace Sepp Blatter as Fifa president, winning an overall majority in the second round of voting.The Swiss-Italian edged ahead of favourite Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al-Khalifa in the first ballot but failed to secure the two-thirds of the vote required to secure victory.Infantino picked up 115 votes, needing just 104, to replace Sepp Blatter at the world football governing body. The voting in full:Gianni Infantino – 115 votesSheikh Salman – 88 votesPrince Ali al-Hussein – 4Jerome Champagne – 0FIFA election goes to second round Gianni Infantino caused a surprise by polling the most votes in round one of voting in Friday’s election to succeed Sepp Blatter as Fifa president. The Uefa secretary general failed to get enough to seal outright victory, claiming 88 of the 207 votes available at an extraordinary congress in Zurich.Pre-vote favourite Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa won 85.Prince Ali bin al-Hussein was next with 27, followed by Jerome Champagne on seven. Tokyo Sexwale withdrew earlier.It is the first time voting for the presidential election had reached a second round since 1974, when Joao Havelange of Brazil became the first non-European president ahead of England’s Sir Stanley Rous.Blatter, who led world football’s governing body since 1998, stood down last year and was later banned from football for six years. Analysis”Infantino’s camp has consistently maintained an air of optimism throughout the final days of this election campaign,” said BBC Radio 5 live’s sports news correspondent Richard Conway.”They were not surprised at how well he performed in round one.”What was surprising according to those close to Shaikh Salman is that pledges of support from Asia and Africa failed to materialise for the Bahraini.”What happens now?To become president after the first round of voting, a candidate needed to secure two-thirds of the available votes, which equated to 138.In round two, a simple majority is required, which means Infantino needs another 16 votes to become Fifa’s ninth president. “This election is being fought on the floor of the congress hall right now, with supporters of both Shaikh Salman, Gianni Infantino and Prince Ali talking to voterw,” added Conway. “We could be in for a long night.”What else has happened?Before voting began, reforms were passed to help make Fifa a more transparent and accountable organisation.All salaries will be disclosed, while a limit of four years has been placed on a president’s term.A new council to replace the current executive committee has also been introduced, featuring a female representative from each confederation.Greg Dyke, who will cast a vote as chairman of the English Football Association, says the reforms are “more important” than the new leader as it will provide an “opportunity for Fifa to start again”. How does voting work?There are 209 Fifa nations but Kuwait and Indonesia are currently barred from taking part, meaning there are 207 eligible voters.To become president after the first round of voting, a candidate must secure two-thirds of the available votes. If no candidate achieves that mark, a simple majority is required in the second round.If there is still no winner, a third round will take place, minus the candidate with the fewest votes in round two.Fifa says a winner must be declared on Friday because an ice hockey rink is due to be installed at the Hallenstadion venue at midnight. * Kuwait and Indonesia are currently barred from taking part in the electionHow significant is Friday’s election?Given everything that has happened to Fifa, this is seen as a pivotal moment for an organisation which has been heavily criticised for its lack of transparency and for failing to clamp down on corruption within it.A new leader, together with a raft of reform measures, is seen as a chance to start afresh.Acting president Issa Hayatou said Friday can “signal a new dawn”, adding: “This is our opportunity to show we are united in building a stronger Fifa.”How bad has it got for Fifa?There have been widespread allegations of corruption, the arrest of leading officials, the banning of its president and the sight of big-name sponsors deserting the organisation. Numerous Fifa officials have been indicted in the United States, while Swiss authorities are also investigating the organisation.Blatter has also been banned from all football activity for six years after being found guilty of breaching Fifa’s ethics rules over a $2m (£1.3m) “disloyal payment” to the head of European football’s governing body Uefa, Michel Platini, who had been favourite to succeed the Swiss.Former France captain Platini was also suspended. Both men deny any wrongdoing and are appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.Furthermore, Jerome Valcke, Fifa’s secretary general and formerly Blatter’s right-hand man, was banned for 12 years following allegations – which he denies – of misconduct while in office.How important is the president?Fifa’s leader is the figurehead for world football, often seen in public alongside presidents, prime ministers and royalty.There have been eight of them so far, presiding over the organisation’s executive committee, which is where the real decision-making power lies.Fifa organises World Cups and other international tournaments, distributes broadcasting rights and should both protect and develop the world’s most popular sport.The president also “legally represents” the organisation, “maintains relations between Fifa and the confederations, members, political bodies and international organisations”, and “implements the decisions passed by the congress and the executive committee”.What do they say?Prince Ali: “I’m a candidate beholden to no one. I wouldn’t apply political pressure or coercion. I’m the only candidate from a national association.”Infantino: “I’m not a politician, I’m football person and I’m a worker. If we stop doing politics and start doing football, the world will admire us.”Sheikh Salman: “My past and my track record speaks for itself. We want someone who is responsible and can deliver the promises he says.”Champagne: “I want a Fifa that serves football, that serves you. The Fifa I dream of is one which correct the inequalities.”What do they stand for?Prince Ali wants to quadruple the amount Fifa’s member associations receive – believing it will increase their sustainability – but wants the money properly accounted for.Infantino would expand the World Cup to 40 teams to ensure more smaller nations can participate. He also wants to hugely expand Fifa’s development plan by investing £860m of its revenues and giving £3.6m to each member association.Sheikh Salman’s big idea is to split Fifa in two with a business side handling commercial issues and the football side organising World Cups and developing the game. He believes this would stop executives making self-interested decisions.Champagne’s most recent manifesto emphasised “rebalancing” the inequality in football and “reconciling” the game’s “protagonists”. He wants to introduce technology to help referees and appoint women to key Fifa roles. He also wants Fifa to be run like a public sector organisation.last_img read more

August 14

Wanda Moberg, 89, formerly of Wellington: Feb. 9, 1927 – Feb. 18, 2016

first_imgWanda MobergWanda Moberg, age 89, of Claremore, Okla, former long-time resident of Wellington, died Thursday, February 18, 2016 at Wood Manor in Claremore.Wanda was born in Nevada, Mo. on February 9, 1927 to Barney E. Koeger and Pearl M. (Randleman) Koeger.  She attended school in Nevada and graduated from Nevada High School with the class of 1945. Wanda met her husband Karl W. Moberg when he stopped to help fix a flat tire on a car she was riding in.  They were married on April, 27, 1946 in Reno, Nevada. Together they celebrated 35 years of marriage. He proceeded her in death in 1982.Wanda and Karl moved to Wellington in 1953 when Karl opened his optometry practice at Hatcher Clinic. She lived in Wellington until 2010 when she moved to Claremore, OK. Wanda was a tireless volunteer.  She volunteered for the St. Luke’s Hospital (later SRMC) Women’s Auxiliary for over 40 years.  She organized the annual St Luke’s Hospital Bazarre for several years and later ran the SRMC Gift Shop with the volunteer “Pink” ladies.  She served on the hospital board as well. Wanda received her 60 year pin for being a member of Beta Sigma Phi Sorority. Wanda was a member of the Wellington Art Association and the First Presbyterian Church where she served in the capacity of Deacon, Trustee, and Ruling Elder.Wanda loved to paint. She was part owner of Paint & Putter and The Hen House in Wellington.  She taught Tole painting and Decoupage lessons for many years. Her hobbies included painting, knitting and playing Bridge.  Wanda was known as an excellent cook, music lover and she could “cut a rug” back in the day.Wanda was proceeded in death by her parents, husband Karl, sister Opal Douglas, and brother, Denzel Curry.She is survived by her daughters Carley Moberg of Wellington and Melissa (Mike) Geubelle of Claremore, OK, one grandson, Austin Geubelle of Owasso, OK, and several nieces and nephews.Memorial services for Wanda will be held at 1:00 p.m., Thursday, February 25, 2016 at the First Presbyterian Church in Wellington, Kansas.In lieu of flowers her family asks that contributions be given to the Sumner Regional Medical Center-Women’s Auxiliary. Contributions can be mailed or left with the funeral home.To share a memory or to leave condolences, please visit www.cornejodayfuneralhome.comArrangements are by Cornejo|Day Funeral Home & Crematory, 1030 Mission Road, Wellington, Kansas.last_img read more

January 14

World Bank Approves US$285M Grant to Fight Ebola

first_imgThe World Bank Group’s Board of Executive Directors on November 18, 2014 approved a US$285 million grant to finance Ebola-containment efforts underway in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. The money will also be used to help communities in the three countries cope with the socioeconomic impact of the crisis and rebuild and strengthen essential health services. The grant is part of the nearly US$1 billion previously announced by the World Bank Group for the countries hardest hit by the Ebola crisis.The grant provides additional financing to the Ebola Emergency Response Project (EERP) approved by the WBG’s Board on September 16, 2014, including US$72 million for Guinea, US$115 million for Liberia and US$98 million for Sierra Leone, the three countries most-affected by Ebola.Tuesday’s announcement brings the total financing approved so far from the World Bank Group’s International Development Association (IDA) Crisis Response Window (CRW) for the Ebola response to US$390 million. The CRW is designed to help low-income IDA countries recover from severe disasters and crises.“With this additional financing, the World Bank Group is responding to the critical needs identified by the affected countries to step up their fight against Ebola,” said Jim Yong Kim, World Bank Group President.  “This deadly outbreak is far from over, and the international community must continue to do everything we can to support these countries until we get to zero cases.”The additional financing will enable the three countries to deploy additional national and international health workers, scale up community-based care and community engagement for early detection of suspected Ebola cases, more rapid confirmation of infection status, strengthened treatment and care, and safe burials to curb the epidemic. The funds approved will be deployed by the governments of the three countries with the support of UN agencies.In addition, the project will support an increase in diagnostic capacity for Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, by addressing logistical constraints and increasing laboratory resources for testing to reduce the time in confirming Ebola cases.It will improve and increase storage and distribution of essential supplies, and address specific social issues caused by the Ebola outbreak. The project will also help establish a regional network of public health institutes in West Africa that include disease surveillance and preparedness. This support will be critical to prevent the spread of the Ebola epidemic to neighboring countries as well as to develop a timely and effective regional pandemic response in the future.”It is important to create health systems that are resilient and which can respond quickly to this kind of crisis. This means increasing efficiency, providing incentives to doctors and other health workers fighting the disease, and establishing the right kind of facilities so that  these countries may respond rapidly to the changing situation on the ground,” said Makhtar Diop, the World Bank’s Vice President for Africa.”By enabling a surge of trained health workers, strengthening community-based care, triage, and diagnostic capabilities and restarting public health services, this additional support will help Ebola patients well as those suffering from non-Ebola health conditions to get the essential care they need, ” said Tim Evans, World Bank Group Senior Director for Health, Nutrition, and Population.The World Bank Group is mobilizing nearly US$1 billion in financing for the countries hardest hit by the Ebola crisis. This includes more than US$500 million for the emergency response and at least US$450 million from the IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, to enable trade, investment and employment in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.A previously released World Bank Group analysis showed  that if Ebola continues to surge in the three worst-affected countries and spreads to neighboring countries, the two-year regional financial impact could reach US$32.6 billion by the end of 2015, dealing a potentially catastrophic blow to already fragile states.According to the World Health Organization, as of November 14, 2014, there have been 14,413 reported cases of Ebola in eight countries–mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone–since the outbreak began, with 5,177 reported deaths.Established in 1960, the World Bank’s International Development Association (IDA), helps the world’s poorest countries by providing grants and low to zero-interest loans for projects and programs that boost economic growth, reduce poverty and improve poor people’s lives.IDA, according to the World Bank Group, is one of the largest sources of assistance for the world’s 77 poorest countries, 39 of which are in Africa.Resources from IDA bring positive change for 2.8 billion people living on less than US$2 a day. Since 1960, IDA has supported development work in 112 countries.  Annual commitments have averaged about US$18 billion over the last three years, with about 50 percent going to Africa.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

December 28

DONEGAL’S ‘CLEAN FOYLE’ CAMPAIGNERS TAKE THEIR CASE TO STORMONT

first_imgL to R back Dr Liam Campbell, Deputy Padraig mc Laughlin T.D.L to R front Dr Trish Murphy, Celebrate Water, Maeve mc Laughlin MLA., Karin Dubski, Director Coastwatch Europe, Michelle O’Neill Min. of Ag. Enda Craig, spokesperson CFCEA delegation of environmental campaigners led by Enda Craig, spokesperson for the Community For a Clean Estuary (CFCE) have met with the Northern Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development, Michelle O’ Neill and with members of the Environment Committee in the Assembly to outline their concerns about the impact on the Foyle estuary from the proposed sewerage treatment plant at Carnagarve between Moville and Greencastle.Mr Craig was joined by renowned environmentalist, Dr Karin Dubsky, coordinator of Coastwatch Europe, Moville based zoologist, Dr Trish Murphy, and Dr Liam Campbell of Foyle Civic Trust. The campaigners were joined by local TD, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn.Enda Craig outlined the history of the Moville/ Greencastle sewerage scheme and the concerns of the community at Carnagarve and surrounding town-lands. Dr Dubsky and Dr Murphy outlined the unique potential of the wetland eco system in the Foyle estuary from natural oysters and other shellfish to recently discovered sea grass.They requested that the Northern Executive work with the Irish Government to develop the estuary into a international Ramsar special area of conservation and explained that the immense potential of all of this could be seriously undermined if Donegal County Council proceed with their plans for the plant at Carnagarve.Dr Campbell outlined his concerns that authorities on both sides of the Foyle are in a position to further damage the Foyle estuary because of the zoning of much of it as “coastal” back in 1990 and demonstrated that this zoning is erroneous and needs to be changed to protect the amenity of Lough FoyleSpeaking afterwards, Enda Craig said: “We brought the campaign to protect the Foyle estuary to politicians in Stormont today because they have a shared responsibility with the Irish government to protect this vital resource. It was clear that the Minister and the other Assembly members we met were moved by our presentations and they have assured us that they will pursue these matters with their southern counterparts. “There is no doubt that the appropriate location for the outflow pipe of a future sewerage scheme for Moville and Greencastle is out into coastal waters and not into the Foyle estuary. In recent months, we have taken our campaign to Europe supported by MEPs Marian Harkin and Martina Anderson and now to Stormont and we have had the Joint First Minister, Martin McGuinness out to see for himself the issues at Carnagarve beach.“We will keep fighting because the cost of defeat is too high for all of our communities that live beside Lough Foyle”.Deputy Mac Lochlainn said: “Minister O’ Neill was clearly impressed by the strength of the arguments from this eminent delegation of environmental campaigners. The history of the Moville and Greencastle sewerage scheme is one of shameful failure. Rather than develop the wonderful amenity of the Foyle estuary, Donegal County Council has given into political tomfoolery and failed everyone in the area.“I hope that in the absence of leadership at council level in Donegal or from the Irish government that both Europe and the Northern Assembly can now pursue this matter so that common sense is restored at last.” DONEGAL’S ‘CLEAN FOYLE’ CAMPAIGNERS TAKE THEIR CASE TO STORMONT was last modified: August 20th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGreencastlemovillePadraig Mac Lochlainn TDsewage schemeStormontlast_img read more