September 22

Messi unlikely to change mind on exit, FC Barcelona presidential candidate says

first_imgLionel Messi is unlikely to change his mind about leaving FC Barcelona, a presidential candidate in the Spanish club’s elections, Victor Font, has said.Messi rocked FC Barcelona last month when his lawyers told the club he wanted to activate a clause in his contract. It is a clause that will allow him to leave for free before the 2020/2021 season.The club disputed the claim, saying the clause expired on June 10, with La Liga also releasing a statement saying his contract was still valid.But Font is not optimistic about convincing Messi to stay another year.“I really hope the decision can be changed,” Font said.“It doesn’t seem likely, though… If that’s the case, the focus should be on making the transition as smooth as possible. “Messi loves the club and he wants to win, he wants to compete. He has been saying this for many, many years, it’s not just been for a few weeks.“Unfortunately the club has not been able to deliver on the promise of building a competitive team.”Messi, 33, last won the UEFA Champions League with FC Barcelona in 2015.An 8-2 humiliation at the hands of Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals last month was the final straw for the six-times world player of the year.Messi, who failed to turn up for pre-season training on Monday, had previously labelled his side “weak” and “inconsistent” after surrendering the league title to rivals Real Madrid. The club has spent millions on players in the transfer market who have not come good in recent years.Transfer strategy is now something Font hopes to change if he is elected president.“Currently you have the president, the chairman of the board and even some directors making decisions about signings, about selling players and that needs to be changed,” Font added.He hopes to succeed president Josep Maria Bartomeu in the election next March.RelatedPosts Bayern Munich fans undergo Super Cup coronavirus tests Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi “That’s why we’ve been working on a project and we need people to lead that who come from the world of football.”Lionel Messi’s father and agent headed to FC Barcelona on Tuesday for what Argentine media said was a meeting with club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.Television pictures showed Jorge Messi boarding a private plane in Rosario.The plane was destined for the US, from where he would proceed to Spain, local newspapers Ole and Capital de Rosario reported.Reuters/NAN.Tags: Bayern MunichFC BarcelonaLa LigaLionel MessiUEFA Champions LeagueVictor Fontlast_img read more

September 18

Eubank to Defend Title against Langford

first_imgUpcoming Fights,10th September, 21:00pmLee Haskins v Stuart Hall “We’ve sparred in the recent past and, though you can’t take too much into that, I know what he does well and what he doesn’t do well and believe my style exploits his.“Sure, Chris Jr is dangerous but Billy Joe [Saunders] exposed his limitations with his quality and movement. I’d be confident.”Talks for Eubank Jr to face world middleweight king Gennady Golovkin were at an advanced stage before breaking down and he has also been recently linked with a rematch against WBO world champion Saunders.Eubank Jr won the belt with a 10th-round stoppage of Nick Blackwell in March and has since defended it with a four-round demolition of Tom Doran.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Chris Eubank Jr will defend his British middleweight title against Tommy Langford in Cardiff on October 22.The Brighton man (23-1-KO18) will be making the second defence of his crown against the unbeaten Langford (17-0-KO6), who became mandatory challenger in the wake of July’s stoppage win over Timo Laine.In an article recently reported on boxingnews24, Langford said: “I need a scalp of his magnitude to project my profile and, because of his dad, Eubank is the biggest name on the scene.last_img read more

August 28

Congressman Bergman Cracks Down on Opioid Crisis

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisCongressman, Jack Bergman was in town Monday making a pit stop to the Rotary Club’s meeting.The Congressman touched base on many topics including Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Pipeline 5, and other issues within Northeast Michigan. One key topic of discussion includes the Congressman’s plan to decrease the opioid crisis.Bergman is starting a plan called the “workforce development” to help employers create plans to make sure employees pass drug test, and can function while learning more job skills.Bergman said he plans on taking the program to legislators within coming months. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Pastor Erickson: ‘I Thought it was a Mistake’ Winning 2017 Citizen of the Year AwardNext Onaway closed Tuesday, Wednesday due to illnesslast_img read more

August 26

Greg Bird injury update: Yankees first baseman will have X-rays on injured elbow, report says

first_imgGreg Bird was scheduled to play today but he came in this morning with some swelling and tightness where he was hit by a pitch yesterday above his elbow. Going back to Tampa now and will have x-rays.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) March 21, 2019Manager Aaron Boone said he thinks Bird could have played, but he didn’t want to mess with his mechanics. Aaron Boone said he did not want Greg Bird to play through soreness because he was worried it would affect his mechanics. Boone says he thinks he could have played, but he thought it was best to send him home.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) March 21, 2019Bird is in the middle of a competition with Luke Voit to be the Yankees’ starting first baseman and this was the last thing he needed. Related News Yankees’ Brian Cashman weighs in on first-base battle between Greg Bird, Luke Voit The 26-year-old lefty missed all of 2016 with a torn labrum, significant amounts of time in 2017 with ankle and foot injuries and even more in 2018 removing bone spurs.Bird is batting .333 with three home runs and eight RBIs this spring, while Voit is hitting .316 with four home runs and 11 RBIs. It’s happening again.Yankees first baseman Greg Bird was scratched from Thursday’s lineup to undergo X-rays on his elbow after being hit by a pitch in New York’s 2-1 loss to the Astros on Wednesday, according to The Athletic.last_img read more

August 14

Barbara Riggs, 83, Conway Springs: Feb. 3, 1932 – March 2, 2015

first_imgBarbara RiggsBarbara L. Riggs, 83, of Conway Springs departed this life March 2, 2015 at her home following a brave battle with breast cancer.She was born February 3, 1932 at Conway Springs, Kansas; the youngest daughter of Jacob Arthur Plaugher and Frances Willard Reeves Plaugher. Barbara was raised in Conway Springs and attended the Malaby Rural School through the 8th grade. She attended Conway Springs High School where she enjoyed playing basketball and was the Homecoming Football Queen her senior year. She graduated with the class of 1950. After high school, Barbara began working as the elevator operator at Buck’s Department Store in Wichita. She also worked in a local insurance office in Wichita.Barbara was united in marriage to Charles Ray Riggs on December 3, 1950 at the First Christian Church in Conway Springs. They built a home southwest of Conway Springs in 1954 where they farmed and raised their family of three daughters.Barbara grew up in the Church of the Brethren in Conway Springs, where at the age of 14 she became the church pianist and a Sunday School teacher for several years. After marriage, she became a member of the First Christian Church Conway Springs and served as the Christian Women’s Fellowship president, a Sunday School teacher, and was also the church pianist for nearly 60 years. She was an active member of the Just Friends Club, EHU, the Merry Matrons Club, and the American Legion Auxiliary. In addition, Barbara was a great supporter of local school activities. She served two years on the USD 356 Board of Education in Conway Springs.Barbara was preceded in death by her parents and a sister, Arvada Walkup.She is survived by her husband Chuck Riggs of the home; three daughters: Janalee Seiwert (Greg) of Wichita, Kansas; Luann Dennis (JD) of Parma, Idaho; Christy Chitwood (Mike) of Colman, South Dakota; six grandchildren: Amy Chitwood, Mat Chitwood, Kelli Wysocki, Neal Seiwert, Tad Gale, and Ben Gale; and two great-grandchildren: Noelle Thorpe and Haily Chitwood.Funeral services will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Friday, March 6, 2015 from the United Methodist Church, Conway Springs, with Neal Seiwert officiating. Interment will be in Conway Springs Cemetery, Conway Springs, Kansas.  Ebersole Mortuary, Conway Springs is in charge of arrangements. On line condolences and guest book are available at www.ebersolemortuary.com.Memorials have been established to Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice or the Conway Springs City Library.last_img read more

January 20

Dr Paul Wright: New thinking, vision for football needed

first_imgThe well-researched editorial in this newspaper on November 14 this year titled ‘Horace Burrell needs to shape up’ has elicited the expected response/defence from the general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF). The general secretary uses a lot of space to: – (a) remind us of our qualification to the 1998 World Cup finals; – (b) to gloss over the inability of the JFF to finalise ‘draft’ contracts with the players after months and months of ‘discussion’; – (c) refuses to acknowledge the disrespect shown to a reporter (and indeed the nation) in the flippant response of the president to queries regarding a shouting match during a meeting of the squad and the president before a practice at the National Stadium prior to the home game against Panama; – (d) blames FIFA for the lack of published financials of the JFF; – and (e) ignores the fact that the present international rating of Jamaica done by FIFA negates the possibility of native Jamaicans of acceptable standard being able to obtain contracts to play in the prestigious English Premier League. It should be obvious to the hierarchy of the JFF that the constant use of the formula that enabled us to qualify for the finals of the World Cup many, many years ago (use locals to qualify for the preliminary stages of the qualification competition, then travel around the world to any country where a footballer whose ancestors have a Jamaican connection and try to persuade them to represent our country a few weeks before match time) is not working and will not work. What is needed is for the JFF to develop and BUILD local football and footballers by recognising talent, contracting them, and then giving them the opportunity to develop by playing games against superior teams. These local footballers are more likely to have Jamaica’s interest at heart when their skills are required for important games and the ‘money short’. Captain Horace Burrell has done well as the leader of Jamaica’s football in the past. We now need a new way of thinking and vision, as football in Jamaica desperately needs to identify and harness the skills paraded by our teenagers in local competitions.last_img read more