Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
4 months ago I went into depression for being unable to resume my treatment: Dingko Singh 4 months ago Vijender, Manoj help raise funds for ailing Dingko Singh SUBSCRIBE TO US Written By Last Updated: 18th August, 2020 12:38 IST Sarita Devi Contracts COVID-19, Takes Heart From Cancer-battling Dingko Who Beat Virus Boxer Laishram Sarita Devi, who contracted COVID-19, is taking inspiration from champion boxer Dingko Singh, who beat COVID-19 while battling cancer. Asian Games and Commonwealth Games medallist Laishram Sarita Devi and her husband, Thoiba Singh, tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday. The 38-year-old boxer and her husband were in her hometown in Imphal, Manipur and decided to take a test after Devi was running a fever and had a cold for three days. The couple has been shifted to a government-run COVID-19 care centre at UNACCO School in the West Imphal district, where they will be observed for a fortnight. Also read | Sarita Devi to represent India at AIBA’s Athlete Commission: Sports newsSarita Devi COVID-19 test in Imphal comes back positiveWhile talking to Indian Express, Sarita Devi revealed that she was “suffering from fever apart from soreness in the body” and a “light cold”. Her symptoms started after she visited her brother’s home, where she helped their family after his wife gave birth. They initially thought she had muscle cramps but decided to get tested. While she and her husband tested positive, her eight-year-old son Tomthil, cousin sister and her daughter tested negative. Devi is a three-time world champion and a five-time Asian medalist who was a part of the Athletes’ Commission of the International Boxing Association in 2019. Also read | Vijender, Manoj help raise funds for ailing Dingko Singh: Sports newsSarita Devi taking inspiration from Dingko Singh, who beat COVID-19 despite battling cancerTwo months ago, 1998 Asian Games boxing champion Dingko Singh tested positive for COVID-19. Devi helped Dingko Singh and his wife Babai Devi travel to Delhi. Devi remained in touch with him after they returned to Imphal. During her interview, Devi revealed that Dingko was one of the first people she talked to after her diagnosis was confirmed. “Dingko sir recovered from COVID-19 while battling cancer. He talked to me and assured me that everything will be fine,” Sarita Devi added. Before leaving for her treatment, Devi told her son not to worry about her and his father, and keep himself occupied by reading books. They are aware of the recovery stories through newspapers and other forms of media and expect to recover as the Indian hockey team players did. They are being given medicines to reduce fever, while she talks to her son over the phone to keep herself occupied. “There should not be any stigma around COVID-19 patients. But on the other hand, we should follow all the precautions,” Devi said.Also read | I went into depression for being unable to resume my treatment: Dingko SinghSarita Devi boxing careerThe boxing champion wants to get back to her training, as she has now moved to a lower weight category. Before the Olympic qualifiers in Jordan, the Manipur native was defeated by Simranjit Kaur in the 60kg category. Kaur qualified for the Olympics, and Devi will be trying to qualify in the 57kg qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympics in 2021. While the national camp for Indian women boxers remains on hiatus, Devi will resume her training from home after recovery. She also added that in the 57kg category, her height will prove to be an advantage. “I had been training at my home since March and once full training resumes, my focus will be on fast feet movement, which will be a key in this new category,” Devi explained.Also read | Boxer Sarita Devi to take call on retirement after Tokyo Olympics: Sarita Devi boxing(Image credits: PTI) WATCH US LIVE 11 months ago Boxer Sarita Devi to take call on retirement after Tokyo Olympics LIVE TV WE RECOMMEND Devika Pawar FOLLOW US 11 months ago Wrestler Sarita Devi says ‘I’m not finished yet’, vows comeback 9 months ago Sarita Devi to represent India at AIBA’s Athlete Commission First Published: 18th August, 2020 12:38 IST COMMENT
Submit David Lampitt, Sportradar: F1 presents betting’s most sizeable opportunity August 14, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Related Articles Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Scott Longley – Clear & Concise MediaScott Longley details that stakeholder cooperation, combined with an understanding of big picture dynamics at stake, have seen betting progress on its support of tennis integrity, avoiding a further 2020 banana skin for industry incumbents…The move announced in December by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) confirming the continued collection and distribution of in-play data on World Tennis Tour events at the $25k level marks a step forward in the cooperation between the sport and the betting sector.The confirmation of a phased discontinuance of the collection of data on events at the $15k level and below is a welcome de-escalation from the stance previously taken by the Independent Review Panel (IRP) report in December 2018 which had initially recommended a total prohibition on all WTT in-play data collection.There will be a complete discontinuation of live scoring data at WTT $15k events once all further integrity protection measures have been put in place. At the same time, the ITF will be increasing the number of games at the $25k level.As Khalid Ali, chief executive of the International Betting Integrity Association (IBIA), said an outright ban would have led to an “undesirable situation” developing of consumers seeking betting on the black market with a “corresponding loss of market oversight and the ability to detect and punish corruption.”In maintaining betting at the $25k event level, the IBIA suggested the ITF has opted to preserve betting on a product which has proven “popular with consumers”.Citing data from H2 Gambling Capital, the IBIA said online tennis betting has grown substantially in the past decade, with lower-level tennis stated to have been worth circa $820m in 2017.The H2 report noted that in the event of a full prohibition on all lower-level tennis, there would have likely been a “three-way switch” with some incremental increase in betting on other forms of tennis, notably ATP tournaments, more pre-match ITF betting but also a continuation of betting on lower-level tennis with other operators working with unofficial data.David Lampitt, managing director of sports partnerships at Sportradar, said the route taken by the ITF with regard to the reduction in betting coverage was proactive and pragmatic and also consistent with Sportradar’s own approach.“If you adopt a blanket approach, you risk creating a black market for betting and data and the IRP itself was honest enough to acknowledge that they could not predict the consequences of their recommendations with certainty,” he added.Regulation rather than prohibitionLampitt went on to say “that the best way to control and foster transparency in the betting market” is to regulate it in an effective and progressive way. He said the appropriate regulation of betting, rather than attempts at prohibition, were always more likely to succeed, bringing in licensing conditions, transparency, further controls for governing bodies and enhanced consumer protections.“Globally there is a pattern developing towards a legalised and regulated market as we have seen in markets like the US over the last 18 months, and this should be good news for sports as well as fans,” he added.Indeed, as the IBIA noted in its third-quarter 2019 integrity review, there has been a “significant downturn” in suspicious betting alerts in the year-to-date with a 40% reduction to 72 alerts compared with 121 in the same period in 2018. The IBIA attributed the fall to a reduction in alerts at ITF level.The TIU report for 2019 showed the number of overall alerts had fallen to its lowest level since 2015 with the total down 43% to 138 from 264 in 2018.“We continue to work closely with the ITF and they are now doing more than any other body in tennis to address the integrity challenges and implement the recommendations of the IRP, even though their matches are statistically much less likely to give rise to betting alerts than those at higher levels of tennis” said Lampitt.“Systematic monitoring started in early 2018 so our Fraud Detection System has been running for nearly two years, during which time we have carefully monitored risk, escalated concerns and removed coverage on a targeted basis. The approach appears to be contributing to positive results with the number of betting alerts in ITF tournaments down by over 60% in 2019 based on the data from the Tennis Integrity Unit.”ITF President David Haggerty hailed the “comprehensive package of measures”, saying the scale of the integrity measures that were being instituted was “unprecedented”. He concluded: “We are confident that it will deliver real benefits for all participants and will contribute to the trend of reducing corruption risk seen in 2019.” Sportradar combats social media abuse with player protection solution August 17, 2020 Share
“I have had several shots at goal since I returned and some of the lads were not happy and they said that I should not be shooting again but i said to myself that I would continue shooting and one day it will get into the back of the net and that day was today,” Wanyama joked speaking to Spurs’ official TV stream after the game.The sentiments were shared by striker Harry Kane who was at the centre of the game, missing a penalty and scoring a late one as he joined an elite list of Premier League players to reach 100 league goals.“He’s proved us wrong! He had a few shots recently and they have all gone to the corner flag and we told him not to shoot. But fair play to him he stuck it for us today and he pulled us one of the best strikes I have seen. I probably haven’t seen a better one in my career to be fair,” the English forward who described the goal as a ‘wonder strike’ further opined.Harry Kane wheels away in celebrating his goal against Liverpool on February 4, 2018 with Victor Wanyama in the background. PHOTO/Daily MailWanyama has had a slow return to the Spurs first team since fully recovering from a knee injury that put him out for a period of four months and is yet to be in the starting 11 for a Premier League match.The midfield workhorse said he was delighted to play a positive role for the side, adding that getting a point away to Liverpool is no mean task.“I thought in the second half we played much better. We had a feeling we would score but unfortunately we didn’t until I came on and I got a goal. Sometimes it’s difficult; you can shoot and don’t score. I am happy I scored today to help the team,”“It is a difficult place to come because they always give us a tough time but today we got better and showed what we can do and I think we deserved to win today,” the midfielder further stated.The result sees Spurs remain at fifth on the English Premier League table, four ahead of North London rivals Arsenal who they face on Saturday in Wembley.Before then, Spurs will take on League Two side Newport County in the FA Cup on Wednesday and Wanyama might start the match.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Victor Wanyama wheels away in celebrating his goal against Liverpool on February 4, 2018.NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 5- Harambee Stars captain and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Victor Wanyama has disclosed in the aftermath of his wonder-strike against Liverpool on Sunday, that his teammates had told him never to shoot again after some below per efforts.Wanyama came on for Moussa Dembele in the 79th minute of Spurs’ 2-2 draw against Liverpool at Anfield and with barely two minutes on the pitch struck a worldie from almost 25 yards out to pull his side level at 1-1.