Tedros, whose leadership of the WHO has been severely criticized by US President Donald Trump, urged people to maintain social distancing and “extreme vigilance.”As well as the Americas, a large number of new cases were coming from South Asia and the Middle East, Tedros added.WHO emergencies expert Mike Ryan drew attention to the situation in Brazil, where he said there had been 1,230 additional COVID-19 deaths in the previous 24 hours.About 12 percent of infections in Brazil involved healthcare workers, he added, praising their bravery. Brazil has the world’s worst outbreak outside the United States, with 978,142 confirmed cases and 47,748 deaths.’Difficult journey’ to vaccineWith many nations easing restrictions but fearful of a second wave of infections, Ryan urged a gradual and scientific approach.”Exiting lockdowns must be done carefully, in a step-wise manner, and must be driven by the data,” he said. “If don’t know where it is the chances are the virus will surprise you.”Ryan said the resurgence of new clusters did not necessarily mean a second wave, while “second peaks” were also possible in one wave. The emergencies expert praised Germany, China and South Korea for their handling of the pandemic.With trials underway around the world to find medicines and a vaccine for COVID-19, WHO officials warned that large-scale testing would be needed with side-effects carefully monitored.”Although it is not impossible to find a vaccine … it’s going to be a very difficult journey,” Tedros said.Topics : The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday’s 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of those in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.”The world is in a new and dangerous phase,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from WHO headquarters in Geneva. “The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible.”More than 8.53 million people have been reported infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 453,834 have died, a Reuters tally showed as of 1326 GMT on Friday.
Latest posts by Liz Graves (see all) Bio MDI Hospital to begin contact tracing – August 5, 2020 Keene appeals his 2019 murder conviction – July 30, 2020 Luchini named to Maine Running Hall of Fame – August 12, 2020 Liz GravesReporter at Mount Desert IslanderFormer Islander reporter and editor Liz Graves grew up in California and came to Maine as a schooner sailor. BAR HARBOR — “I think I have the best job in the world,” said Mount Desert Island High School student activities director Bunky Dow March 10 at the winter sports athletic banquet.Leaders of the Athletic Boosters thanked team parents and concession volunteers, calling them essential to the smooth functioning of the athletic program.The winter cheering squad this year included Malorie Young, Jessica Fox, Genevieve Goebel, Ashley McEachern, Claire Elk, Robin Nicholson, Ali Goodwin, Hannah Carroll, Mackenzie Myers, McKenzie Young, Karli Dyer, and alternate Haleigh Smith. They were coached by Katie Leighton and Taylor Fernald.The varsity boys’ basketball team had a Player of the Year, an All-Academic, a Coach of the Year, and many other awards.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textIn indoor track, Madeline Cook, Caroline Driscoll, and Emma Strong were recognized for state-qualifying performances in their events. On the boys’ side, Chapin McFarland, Brandon Murphy, Matt Hanna, Ralph Magnani, and Will Richards were state champions in their events.The varsity girls’ basketball team received their Eastern Maine Champion banner, and individual awards.In swimming, the boys’ team were PVC runners up. Tom Gallup and Will Greene were state champions in their events. The girls’ swim team received their Eastern Maine and state champion banners. Leila Johnston, Lydia Dacorte, Avalon Kerley, and Sydney Wright were state champions in individual and relay events.A mandatory informational meeting for spring sports is set for Thursday, March 20 at 6 p.m.Find in-depth coverage of local news in the Mount Desert Islander. Subscribe digitally or in print. Latest Posts
Iconic broadcaster Shaun Doherty has shocked his listeners this morning with the news that he will be leaving Highland Radio in the coming weeks.Speaking on the Shaun Doherty Show, the presenter said the time has come for him to leave the station. He is due to deliver his last show on Friday, July 14th.“It is time for me to look for fresh challenges in my life and new opportunities,” Shaun said. Shaun has been a recognisable voice on the radio for 27 years and has occupied the mid-morning slot on Highland Radio since 1990.His topical programme explores the stories and concerns of local people and carries interviews with local representatives and members of the public.Shaun said he will reveal more about his future career plans in the coming weeks as he winds up his time at Highland.Broadcaster Shaun Doherty reveals he is leaving Highland Radio was last modified: June 28th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:broadcasterHighland RadioShaun Doherty