Tedros, whose leadership of the WHO has been severely criticized by US President Donald Trump, urged people to maintain social distancing and “extreme vigilance.”As well as the Americas, a large number of new cases were coming from South Asia and the Middle East, Tedros added.WHO emergencies expert Mike Ryan drew attention to the situation in Brazil, where he said there had been 1,230 additional COVID-19 deaths in the previous 24 hours.About 12 percent of infections in Brazil involved healthcare workers, he added, praising their bravery. Brazil has the world’s worst outbreak outside the United States, with 978,142 confirmed cases and 47,748 deaths.’Difficult journey’ to vaccineWith many nations easing restrictions but fearful of a second wave of infections, Ryan urged a gradual and scientific approach.”Exiting lockdowns must be done carefully, in a step-wise manner, and must be driven by the data,” he said. “If don’t know where it is the chances are the virus will surprise you.”Ryan said the resurgence of new clusters did not necessarily mean a second wave, while “second peaks” were also possible in one wave. The emergencies expert praised Germany, China and South Korea for their handling of the pandemic.With trials underway around the world to find medicines and a vaccine for COVID-19, WHO officials warned that large-scale testing would be needed with side-effects carefully monitored.”Although it is not impossible to find a vaccine … it’s going to be a very difficult journey,” Tedros said.Topics : The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday’s 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of those in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.”The world is in a new and dangerous phase,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from WHO headquarters in Geneva. “The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible.”More than 8.53 million people have been reported infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 453,834 have died, a Reuters tally showed as of 1326 GMT on Friday.
Dear Editor,From my understanding of a press statement made by the Finance Minister and which was seen by me for the first time in 2017, a laid down principle was provided for old age pensioners countrywide to benefit from tax exemption on their savings accounts.The relief was considered to be helpful with the savings as we all know, no matter how infinitesimal becoming ever so important to have especially when exigency arises.For the year, as a recipient of the relevant particulars that were given at Anna Regina Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) office for withholding tax which expires at the end of each year and it was granted to me.But for this year a similar request was rejected without given any reason even though the same was done as the previous one with the only difference being another female who made me to understand that it is at the discretion of the GRA to do so but her explanation did not find favour with me. This disparity is ever so much confusing and remains beyond my understanding with something definitely wrong for my humble opinion discretion is not applicable and totally irrelevant to this issue.From my point of view, once the withholding tax becomes discretionable, it will obviously create an opening for corruption as it would be possible for anyone to pay and get one.The Minister’s statement to me is ever so much pellucid on the entitlement of tax relief from which pensioners stand to benefit and must be so confined within the ambit of the law.With GRA doing otherwise to now reject my request, some form of clarity along the line becomes necessary as a matter of public interest.Yours faithfully,Baliram Persaud