– at CorentyneBy Andrew CarmichaelPolice in Berbice are on the hunt for a man who allegedly shot a five-year-old and her grandmother after breaking into their home at Number 72 Village, Corentyne in the wee hours of Sunday.Police, in a press report, said the young girl and her grandmother had to seek medical attention at the Skeldon Hospital, where they were treated for alleged gunshot injuries – 13 pellets were removed from the child’s left leg, while the grandmother sustained injuries to her lower abdomen. The incident occurred at Section B, Number 72 Village Corentyne about 03:30h.The ladder that the suspect used to gain access to the inside of the building Investigations revealed that Savitri Hassan and her husband, Rajkumar, along with their granddaughter, were asleep on a mattress on the floor when they were roused by a loud explosion. Upon investigating, they saw a male, who is known to them, fleeing the house and it was then Hassan realised that she and the child were bleeding. The suspect is being sought, the Police release added.Savitri told Guyana Times that after the loud explosion, her granddaughter started to scream. She said at first it was believed that the girl was screaming out of fright, but later it was discovered that she was bleeding.Injured: Savitri HassanShe said the shooter ran out of the house using the back door, which was open.According to her husband, Rajkumar, he was able to recognise the shooter.He told this publication that he was awakened by the explosion and quickly got up as he realised that there was someone in the house.According to him, when he looked through the bedroom door, he saw a man who is known to him (his neighbour). According to Rajkumar, at the time there was light in the house enabling him to see clearly. There were five adults in the house along with the five-year-old and two babies at the time of the incident.According to the 47-year-old Rajkumar, the intruder used a ladder to climb through an opening between the top of the wall and the roof of the house to gain entry.Before the shot was fired, the suspect opened the back door of the house in order for him to have a quick escape.Rajkumar said that the house was destroyed by a fire in March 2014 and he was in the process of rebuilding it and he had a little more work to do in order to have it completed and secured.Meanwhile, his wife claimed that the suspect had made threats before and had burnt a clothes line in her yard previously.Those incidents were both reported to the Police and there was little action taken, the woman told this newspaper.According to her, the reports were made on October 21 and 22 at the Skeldon Police Station.She said three Community Policing Group (CPG) officers went to make the arrest and they were confronted by a cutlass-wielding man and had to abort the probe.Following an outburst by the suspect in October, Savitri said she enquired from her neighbour what the issue was and she was allegedly told that her husband was peeping at the suspect’s wife in their house.Guyana Times was taken to the backyard and shown the distance between the Hassan’s yard and the suspect’s house and also the high vegetation surrounding the house where the suspect lives.The woman explained that her husband was in the backyard on that day to patch holes in the fence in order to prevent his chickens from leaving the yard.Savitri says she is living in fear and is of the belief that had the Police acted on the initial reports, Sunday’s incident could have been avoided.She said even though it appeared that the Police have now taken serious action in making real efforts to apprehend the suspect, until they do and the suspect remains at large, the family would continue to live in fear.
Pat the Cope Gallagher is in a battle for that final seat in Europe.PAT The Cope Gallagher is in the race for the last seat in Europe – after a massive recount was ordered.The Donegal politician and Marian Harkin are just a few hundred votes apart.And after Fianna Fail asked for a recount, every single 663,703 votes cast in the 15-county constituency will be recounted. Officially Gallagher is around 250 behind Harkin after sweeping up transfers from Thomas Byrne.But that’s very small when set against the massive vote.Representatives for both candidates agreed to call for a full recount which is expected to get underway at 9am.Earlier Sinn Fein’s Matt Carthy was elected to the third seat in the Midlands Northwest constituency joining Fine Gael’s Mairead McGuinness and Independent Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan. “The days of the Fianna Fail/Fine Gael stranglehold on politics in this State is long over and good riddance to be quite frank,” said Carthy.“I just want to thank the membership of Sinn Fein for entrusting me to be the public face of the party for this campaign and to say that I hope that I don’t let them down and I hope that Sinn Fein doesn’t let those people who entrusted us with their vote down, I don’t believe we will. I think we are seen ever increasingly as a party that stands by those communities that need support and we intend to deliver for those communities,” he added. EURO BATTLE: THE COPE AND HARKIN AGREE MASSIVE RECOUNT AFTER DEADLOCK was last modified: May 28th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CastlebarPat the Cope