December 27


first_imgOld Orchard Inn Division One Erne Wanderers 7 Ramelton Mariners 2Erne Wanderers hosted Ramelton Mariners in a top of the table clash at the lakeside centre in glorious conditions on Saturday. Despite the scoreline it was the away team that had the better of the first half with the home team unable to get any rhythm going. Playing good passing football Mariner’s took the game to the home team and created a few half chances and forced a serious of corners which Erne defended well. Five minutes before the break Mariner’s got a penalty when Jamie Cassidy tried to nick the ball but caught the striker’s foot and down he went. From the resulting kick Karl O’ Brien made a good save. Within a minute Erne broke up the pitch and the ball was worked to Mark Dorrian inside the box and he found the top corner with a cool finish for his first of the day. This was a cruel blow to the away side who were much the better team in the first half. Wanderers came out a different team in the second half and went two up within a minute when Jamie Cassidy went on a run from centre back, playing some brilliant one twos up the pitch, and he finished from 8 yards at the second attempt. Five minutes later Erne went three up when Dolan went on a run down the left and cut it back for Dermott Slevin who side footed into the bottom corner from 20 yards. Within two minutes Mariners got on the score-sheet when Brian Piper scored with a neat finish. Wanderers upped the tempo after this and finished the game as a contest when on 60 minutes Mark Dorrian got his second when the ball fell to his feet on the corner of the 18 yard box, after good battling by Sticky Ward, and he chipped the keeper with a brilliant effort. David Dolan got no five on 65minutes when he beat his man and played a pass to Sticky who back-heeled into his path again and he burst into box to calmly slot past the stranded keeper. Dorrian completed his hatrick on 68 minutes when Sean Toland played him in down the left and he finished well with his left foot. Slack defending let in Mariners for their second on 78 minutes when Barry Coyle finished from 7yards. The scoring was complete on 83 minutes when Sticky Ward found the net with a cool side foot finish into the bottom corner. A big win for the Wanderers at a crucial stage of the season with Slevin and Dorrian the pick of the bunch team effort from Mariners who just faded in the second half. Referee: Brian O’ Kane. Glenea United 2 Glencar Celtic 2Glenea came back from the dead to get a point from this match. In an even 1st half both sides were battling to get control of the game and neither created any clear cut chances. In the 2nd half Glencar took the lead on 50 minutes when Stephen Mc Laughlin was on hand to knock in a cut back. Glenea tried hard to get back into the game but were finding it difficult to create a chance. Glencar doubled their lead on 65 minutes when John Hilly was played through and he slotted the ball past the keeper. Glenea reduced the deficit on 85 minutes when Martin Maguire headed home a Martin Doohan free-kick. This goal lifted the home side and they equalized on 89 minutes when Michael Mc Clafferty was on hand to force home the ball after a goal mouth scramble. Glenea almost took all the points in injury time when another goal mouth scramble saw the ball cleared off the line. Best for Glenea John Harley and Shane Ferry while Padjo Duffy tried hard for Glencar. Referee: John FerryCastlefin Celtic Reserves 2 Mulroy Celtic 1Castlefin claimed a vital three points after a 2-1 victory over Mulroy in Parkview on Saturday. Mulroy were the better team in the first half, creating numerous chances, and they eventually took the lead in the 35th minute when Mark Griffin finished well. In the 40th minute Castlefin equalised through a great Thomas Devlin strike from 20yards. In the 55th minute Castlefin took the lead when a Tomas Devlin cross found Gary Mc Nulty who laid the ball off to Mark Lafferty who struck home from 15 yards. Mulroy pressed for an equaliser and Mark Griffin went close on a few occasions.Good team performances. Referee: Barry HunterDowntown Cup Group BKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2 Fintown Harps AFC 6Fintown Harps overcame Kilmacrennan Celtic in Lurgy Park in this cup fixture. A tight first half came to life just before half time when Aaron Thompson scored after going one on one with the Kilmacrennan keeper. He scored again three mins later from Daragh Gallagher’s square across the box. Kilmacrennan pulled one back just before half time when Paul Mc Eldowney was fouled in the box and Cathal Gallagher scored the resulting penalty. Fintown started the second half brightly and Aaron Thompson scored his third five minutes in after a scramble in the box. Kilmacrennan pulled another one back in the 57th minute when Paul Mc Eldowney headed in Steve McElwaine’s corner. Daragh Gallagher scored Fintown’s fourth with a fine solo effort in the 65th minute. He turned provider again a few minutes later setting up Paddy Black. Aaron Thompson scored his fourth and Fintown’s last in the 75th minute to put the game to bed. Excellent team performance from Fintown and Steve Mc Elwaine was best for Kilmacrennan.Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division Rathmullan Celtic 1 Kilmacrennan Celtic 2Kilmacrennan Celtic used all of their experience to leave the Seaside with three valuable points following a hard fought game that was dominated for long spells by the home side but a stunning brace from Eddie Doherty, who converted their only opportunities, proved the difference to seal a victory for the former Premier Division champions.The visitors were a menacing physical presence throughout and Doherty’s two exceptional goals confirmed their place as Premier League leaders. In truth, Sunday’s entertaining game showed why both teams are worthy of their places near the top of the table this season.A goal in each half from midfielder Doherty got the job done for Kilmac, with Eamonn Sheridan netting for Rathmullan in between. The home side were left to rue not making their early dominance in each half tell on the scoreboard. A strong and experienced spine to the visitor’s team ensured they were able to hang tough and concede very few clear cut chances despite coughing up a lot of possession to Rathmullan. The Gorman’s, Gavin and Gary marshalled a strong back line, with Timmy Burke, Doherty and ex-Rathmullan striker Caolan Kelly proving a handful further up the field.With Oisin McMenamin missing, Aaron Mc Clafferty was recalled to the starting line-up and it was Rathmullan that started well and Eoin Sheridan had the best chance, as he pulled a shot wide from 12 yards.Having failed to make their possession count, Rathmullan were punished on the half hour with a stunning opener. Building down the left wing, the ball was knocked infield by Ryan McLaughlin and Mickey McBride’s step-over allowed the in-rushing Doherty through on goal. He lashed an unstoppable shot past Ian Strain and off the underside of the bar to give the visitors the lead against the run of play.The Hoops responded well to the setback and a fine individual effort from Eamonn Sheridan on 43 minutes saw the talismanic forward gain space in the box and fire a low shot into the net much to the delight in front of another bumper Flagpole crowd.Rathmullan started the second half well and continued to press for a second goal, but they came up against a very stubborn defence.The best chance of the second half arrived on 55 minutes when Dara Patton’s right wing cross was chested down by Eamonn Sheridan for Aaron Mc Clafferty but he was unable to keep his effort down and fired over the bar.Former Kilmac player Seamus McLaughlin almost wrote his own script with a wonderfully struck volley from 20-yards that flew just wide of the post with Rathmullan still doing the probing heading into the final 15 minutes.There was to be a sting in the tail however as the visitors again showed the clinical finishing of a team that has been down this road many times in the past.Having forced a succession of corners and free kicks in promising areas, Rathmullan were unable to make it count with Kilmac dominating in the air. So it was no surprise when a left wing cross was met with a stunning glancing header from Doherty into the far corner on 84 minutes to steal the points much to the delight of the travelling Kilmac support.With Niall Doherty and Philip Hegarty on from the bench, the home side again responded well to the setback and pegged Kilmac in for the remainder of the game but they were unable to force an equaliser.A setback for Mark Curran and his players, there can be little doubt of that, but with plenty games to play and a cup semi final on the horizon, there is still a lot to play for and based on this display Rathmullan can still have a big say in the destination of this year’s Premier Division title.Best for Rathmullan was Reggie Miller while Kilmac’s defence were marshalled superbly by the Gorman brothers and Doherty’s class up front in converting their only two attacks proved the difference.Castlefin Celtic 1 Glenea United 4Glenea went away with all three points after a tough battle with Castlefin Celtic in Parkview on Sunday. The visitors took the lead the after 5 minutes when Kevin Mulhern rose highest to head home the opener from 6 yards after a Declan Mc Garvey cross. Castlefin had the majority of the possession but couldn’t break down the visiting defence. Glenea doubled their lead when Michael Barry latched onto a through ball and finished clinically with 30 minutes played. In the 39th minute Glenea increased their lead when Michael Barry pounced on a mistake in the Castlefin defence to poke home.The second half turned into a midfield battle with few chances being created. In the 80th minute Glenea got their fourth, a wonderful finish from Ryan Mc Fadden. In the 88th minute Castlefin got a consolation goal through Peter Bryson following a Ronan Tourish corner.Two good team Performances. Referee: Ed MooreGweedore Celtic 1 Lagan Harps 0A crucial victory for the home team in what was a very tight game against Lagan Harps. In the opening fifteen minutes the visitors looked the more dangerous with Andrew Brennan causing problems for the home defence with his pacey runs up the wing. On the half-hour Gweedore took the lead when a ball into the box was headed on by David Mc Gee and Tomas Diver was on hand to slam the ball home. Early in the second half the away keeper did well to save a David Mc Gee shot. On forty minutes a Lagan free kick was fisted over the bar by the home keeper Mc Kelvey. In the last fifteen minutes Gweedore were under sustained pressure, Lagan forced a number of corners and free kicks, but despite a few near misses the home side held out for a victory,A team display by Lagan. John Walsh and Danny Curran played well for Gweedore. Referee: Martin Mc GarrigleSt. Catherines 1 Lifford Celtic 0St Catherines played hosts to Lifford Celtic in Emerald Park on Sunday. The Saints started well and on 14 minutes Michael Mullin had a good shot but it was well saved by Lee White in the Lifford goal. Then on 20 minutes that man again Michael Mullin had another good shot but again he was denied by Lee White. Lifford started to come into the game and they created a couple a chances, On 29 minutes Conor O’ Rourke had a great shot but he could not get passed Lee White. Lifford had a chance but it was well saved by Anthoine O’ Hara in the Saints goal. David Conwell then had a shot that was well saved. The 2nd half started with both teams looking to get on the score-sheet. Lifford had a couple of chances but they could not get past Anthoine O Hara in the Saints goal, On 61 minutes Jason Noctor had a shot that just went wide of the Lifford goal. On 62 minutes David Conwell had a shot but again was saved by Lee White. On 83 minutes Lifford attacked and the they got into the Saints box and curled a great shot beyond the reach of Anthoine O Hara in the Saints goals into the bottom corner of the net to make the score 1-0 to Lifford Celtic. The Saints pushed hard to get level but it just would not happen for them and the final score was 1-0 to the visitors.Watson Hire Division OneEany Celtic 5 Arranmore United 0Eany Celtic hosted the islanders for their first home match since early November and secured all three points. The home side enjoyed lots of early possession and went ahead from James Flynn fired the ball home on the half hour mark. Eany had chances to extend their lead before half time but the net eluded them .The second half saw the visitors work hard and they had chances but found the Eany defence defiant. It took until the hour mark for Eany extend their lead when Barry Rose got the first of his hat-trick which took 15 minutes to complete. Eany rounded off their afternoon with John Rose getting a well-deserved goal in the 85 minute. Two good performances from these sides.Cranford United 3 Ballybofey United 0Cranford started this game brightly with some neat central midfield playinvolving Michael McGinley and Chris Carr who created a couple of half chancesfor the home team. Danny McBride came close to opening the scoringwhen he got on the end of a Marty Mc Loughlin cross on 17minutes. Thedeadlock was however broken a couple of minutes later when Arthur Lynchexcellently headed home a Seamus Carr free kick. They doubled theiradvantage on the half hour when Marty Mc Loughlin slammed home afterexcellent work from Danny McBride. Philip Buchanan made it three nilfive minutes before the half time whistle when he was put through byChris Carr. The second half was a closely contested affairwith John Gregg and Maurice Lafferty getting more involved but theywere unable to find a goal and Cranford saw out the game comfortably.John Gregg was best for Ballybofey with Michael McGinley and MartyMcLaughlin the stand out men for the home side. Referee: Paddy Martin.Cappry Rovers 0 Donegal Town 4Donegal Town went joint top of the division after they defeated Cappry Rovers by 4 goals to nil in Cappry Park.Cappry dominated the earlier exchanges but good defending and goalkeeping by Dermot Mc Caffrey kept the game scoreless.Donegal took the lead in the thirty second minute when a free kick was floated in and Brendan O’ Meara in the Cappry net could only parry the ball and Benny Byrne nipped in to score from close range.Cappry came more into the game in search of the equaliser but couldn’t penetrate the visitors defence.Cappry started the second half well putting Donegal under pressure and following numerous corners had the ball cleared off the line, a shot from Malachy Martin rattled the bar with Mc Caffrey beaten, but the ball was eventually cleared.With Cappry pushing forward they went two down in the fifty sixth minute when Benny Byrne scored his second following a mistake in the Cappry defence.Byrne completed his hat-trick in the sixty fourth minute when he beat the off side trap to score from close range.Dermot Browne wrapped the game up for the visitors in the sixty ninth minute following a mix up in the Cappry defence to score from close range.Team performance from Cappry. Goalkeeper Dermot Mc Caffrey was best for Donegal town.Referee: Gerry Gallagher.CT Ball Division TwoGlenree United 2 Convoy Arsenal 0The Arsenal were well and truly outgunned on Glenree’s hallowed soil today as the Mevagh men scored 2 with no reply on a good fresh day on the coast.JJ Mc Gettigan’s brave soldiers started the game on a high as they keep their good run going. The relentless tempo suits United and the tiresome work ethic proved fruitful as Daniel Mc Groddy anticipated a high ball into the box and flicked it past the visiting keeper on 30minutes.The second half had Glenree playing against the wind and the ball sat a little better and the assist king Andy Logue proved decisive as his well timed pass put Damien Coyle through and his acute angled shot crept in at the near post.This good physical encounter proved an entertaining affair as the visitors pressured the home side to the point of instinctive saves from the number 1 Gibson.Mc Gettigan’s team have kept themselves in the hunt after a few good results and an away day to Bonagee is next on the fixture list.The man of the match champagne has been divided among the Glenree team as all involved put in a great shift and it was a good team effort from Convoy too.Referee: Marty Quinn.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSOld Orchard Inn Division OneErne Wanderers 7 v 2 Ramelton MarinersGlenea United 2 v 2 Glencar CelticCastlefin Celtic Reserves 2 v 1 Mulroy CelticGlencar Inn Division TwoCranford United Reserves P v P Downtown UnitedDowntown Cup Group ATullyvinney Rovers P v P Milford United ReservesDowntown Cup Group BKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2 v 6 Fintown Harps AFCDowntown Cup Group CDeele Harps P v P Gweedore United ReservesBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic 1 v 2 Kilmacrennan CelticCastlefin Celtic 1 v 4 Glenea UnitedGweedore Celtic 1 v 0 Lagan HarpsSt. Catherines 1 v 0 Lifford CelticWatson Hire Division OneEany Celtic 5 v 0 Arranmore UnitedRaphoe Town 2 v 3 Keadue RoversCranford United 3 v 0 Ballybofey UnitedCappry Rovers 0 v 4 Donegal TownCT Ball Division TwoGweedore United P v P Dunlewy CelticDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 9-2-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Inn Division OneKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves v Castlefin Celtic ReservesFintown Harps AFC v Glenea United ReservesMulroy Celtic v Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Division TwoDonegal Town Reserves v Glenree United ReservesDowntown Cup Group ATullyvinney Rovers v Erne WanderersMilford United Reserves v Cranford United ReservesDowntown Cup Group CRamelton Mariners v Deele HarpsGweedore United Reserves v Downtown UnitedSUNDAY 10-2-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionLagan Harps v Glenea UnitedMilford United v Kilmacrennan CelticRathmullan Celtic v Castlefin CelticDunkineely Celtic v Gweedore CelticWatson Hire Division OneRaphoe Town v Arranmore United (K.O. 1 p.m.)Drumoghill FC v Curragh AthleticKeadue Rovers v Ballybofey UnitedEany Celtic v Cappry RoversCranford United v Donegal TownCT Ball Division TwoCopany Rovers v Kerrykeel ’71 FCDunlewy Celtic v Drumbar UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic v Gweedore UnitedWhitestrand United v Bonagee UnitedDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE – ALL THE MATCH REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: February 3rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal League match reportslast_img read more