December 29

Donegal sees drop in number of overseas tourists visiting the ‘Coolest Place’

first_imgDonegal was the 10th most-visited county in Ireland by overseas tourists in 2017, according to new figures from Failte Ireland and CSO. Some 255,000 foreign tourists checked out the ‘Coolest Place’ last year and spent €82 million during their stay.However, the figure is a fall of 28,000 visitors from 2016, when 283,000 overseas travellers made Donegal their destination and spent €90 million. Overseas tourist visits to Ireland grew by 3.2% to 9 million in 2017, making it a record-breaking year for tourism nationally. Visitors spent a combined €4.9 billion during their visits.Irish residents took 9.6 million trips within Ireland and spent €1.9 billion last year. Domestic visitors took 376,000 trips to Donegal in 2017, spending €96 million on their travels.The number of local visitors is up by 2,000 from 2016, when 374,000 Irish residents’ trips were made to Donegal, spending  €99.9million.The number one fee-charging attraction in Co. Donegal was Glenveagh Castle and Grounds, with 211,000 visitors exploring the national park in 2017. Malin Head Viewing Point and the Sliabh Liag Cliffs were Donegal’s top free attractions, attracting 172,329 and 164,546 visitors respectively.Overseas tourists from Britain to Ireland have fallen by 5.1% in the last year, while other markets continue to grow. Mainland Europe recorded growth of 5%. North American visitor numbers increased by 16.1%, with the long haul markets increasing by 14.2% in 2017.Donegal sees drop in number of overseas tourists visiting the ‘Coolest Place’ was last modified: August 22nd, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Failte Irelandtourismlast_img read more

December 22

Broadcaster Shaun Doherty reveals he is leaving Highland Radio

first_imgIconic broadcaster Shaun Doherty has shocked his listeners this morning with the news that he will be leaving Highland Radio in the coming weeks.Speaking on the Shaun Doherty Show, the presenter said the time has come for him to leave the station. He is due to deliver his last show on Friday, July 14th.“It is time for me to look for fresh challenges in my life and new opportunities,” Shaun said. Shaun has been a recognisable voice on the radio for 27 years and has occupied the mid-morning slot on Highland Radio since 1990.His topical programme explores the stories and concerns of local people and carries interviews with local representatives and members of the public.Shaun said he will reveal more about his future career plans in the coming weeks as he winds up his time at Highland.Broadcaster Shaun Doherty reveals he is leaving Highland Radio was last modified: June 28th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:broadcasterHighland RadioShaun Dohertylast_img read more