June 12

Surveillance of foreign press tightened, two fixers held by security services for past month

first_img February 11, 2021 Find out more YemenMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders has written to Yemeni interior minister Mutahar Rashad Al-Masri calling for the immediate release of two brothers, Ali Nasser Kaid Al-Bokheiti and Mohammed Ahmed Hassan Al-Bokheiti, who were arrested on 21 July at a military roadblock with a British freelance journalist for whom they working as fixers.The British journalist was deported the same day. They have been held ever since at the headquarters of the political security police in Sanaa. They have not been taken before a judge, they have not been charged and they have not been allowed to see a lawyer during the month they have been held.“We wrote to one of your predecessors three years ago about the detention of two fixers, Munif and Naif Damesh, who were arrested with two foreign journalists,” Reporters Without Borders said in its letter. “On their return from Sadah, there were held for six weeks at political security headquarters, probably in the same cells that Ali Nasser Kaid Al-Bokheiti and Mohammed Ahmed Hassan Al-Bokheiti have occupied for the past month.”The letter added: “The arrests of the Bokheiti brothers are the latest example of the news blackout that your government is trying to impose on the fighting in northern Yemen. Foreign journalists are only allowed to move about the country with a guide appointed by the information ministry. Those who do not comply with this requirement are sent home and their Yemeni employees are summarily jailed.”The family, which has not received any news about the two brothers, has voiced growing concern to Reporters Without Borders.“We call for the immediate release of Ali and Mohammed because they did not commit any crime,” a member of the family said. “The fact that the authorities have not so far brought any charges against them is evidence of this. We are forbidden to see them, which is against the law. We have learned from indirect contacts that they are accused of helping a foreign journalist go to Sadah. The authorities do not want the public to know about the damage done to the town by the air raids.”The British journalist being accompanied by the Bokheiti brothers had wanted to go to Marib, a place visited by tourists 800 km northeast of the capital. After being arrested at a military roadblock, all three were escorted back to Sanaa and taken to the headquarters of the public security department, where they were interrogated separately. The British journalist was put on a flight to Qatar later that evening. August 20, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Surveillance of foreign press tightened, two fixers held by security services for past month Fixer for foreign reporters held in Aden for past five months Yemeni journalist killed, nine wounded in Aden airport explosions News Help by sharing this information News Organisation February 26, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts January 6, 2021 Find out more YemenMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Yemen Reporters Without Borders has written to Yemeni interior minister Mutahar Rashad Al-Masri calling for the immediate release of two brothers, Ali Nasser Kaid Al-Bokheiti and Mohammed Ahmed Hassan Al-Bokheiti, who were arrested on 21 July at a military roadblock with a British freelance journalist for whom they working as fixers. News News United Nations: press freedom situation “deeply worrying” in Yemen, according to RSF RSF_en to go furtherlast_img read more

June 12

Bangladeshi journalist found alive after being missing for 53 days

first_imgNews Shocking detention Help by sharing this information RSF calls for the release of Bangladeshi journalist Rozina Islam, unfairly accused of espionage “The first thing he told me was that he was alive and that he was glad to be able to tell me so himself,” Monorom Polok told RSF, describing the phone call he received from his father, at 2:40 a.m. yesterday. RSF_en The day before he disappeared, ruling party MP Saifuzzaman Shikhor brought a complaint against him, accusing him of publishing “false information” about the alleged involvement of well-known figures in a female escort service at a luxury Dhaka hotel. Two other  journalists, Matiur Rahman Chowdhury, the editor of the Manabzamin daily newspaper, and one of Chowdhury’s reporters, are also accused in the same case. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Bangladeshi authorities to immediately free Shafiqul Kajol, a journalist who was arrested after being found blindfolded and bound hand and foot at the Indian border, and to investigate how he came to be abducted for 53 days. May 4, 2020 – Updated on December 28, 2020 Bangladeshi journalist found alive after being missing for 53 days News “While it is an immense relief that Shafiqul Kajol has been found safe and sound, his arrest is extremely shocking,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. “We call on the Bangladeshi prosecutor’s office to order this journalist’s immediate release and to appoint a serious team of investigators to establish how he came to be abducted all this time, which is very mysterious.” BangladeshAsia – Pacific Protecting journalistsProtecting sources DisappearancesImprisonedJudicial harassment Shafiqul Islam Kajol called his son from the Bangladeshi border post at Benapole, near the western city of Jashore, where border officials arrested him after spotting him, bound and blindfolded, in the no-man’s land between Bangladesh and India, at midday on 2 May. Polok told RSF that he was able to see his father yesterday, but the meeting was short and his father was not able to talk about this abduction in any detail. He was handcuffed and was “really scared,” Polok said. A Dhaka-based photojournalist and editor with the Dainik Pakkhakal daily newspaper, Kajol disappeared after leaving his office on the evening of 10 March. An investigation was ordered after his family reported him missing the next day. News February 26, 2021 Find out more Organisation Bangladeshi reporter fatally shot by ruling party activists Follow the news on Bangladesh Receive email alerts to go further As he was not carrying a passport, they arrested him for entering Bangladesh illegally and took him to Jashore, where a district court ordered him held under section 54 of the criminal procedure code, which allows detention where “a reasonable suspicion exists.” He is not due to reappear in court until 19 May. Bangladeshi writer and blogger dies in detention Bangladesh is ranked 151st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index, one place lower than in 2019. Shafiqul Islam Kajol (left), handcuffed, met his son on 3 May in Jashore (photo: MP / RSF). May 19, 2021 Find out more —————————————————————————-UpdateShafiqul Islam Kajol was finally released on bail on 25 December as a result of a decision by the Dhaka high court on 17 December. RSF welcomes this development but regrets that Kajol had to endure being detained for 237 days after being abducted for 53 days, and calls on Dhaka prosecutors to drop all charges against this journalist. —————————————————————————– News BangladeshAsia – Pacific Protecting journalistsProtecting sources DisappearancesImprisonedJudicial harassment February 22, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more