December 24

Softball Defeats Illinois State, 5-1, To Advance To MVC Tournament Title Game

first_imgSophomore Kailee Smith (Murrieta, Calif.) drove in Drake’s first run with a sacrifice fly in the first inning that scored freshman Kennedy Frank (Chesterfield, Mo.). Two innings later, Smith added another run to the scoreboard with a sacrifice bunt fielder’s choice that plated Frank once again. Newman helped her cause at the next at-bat with an RBI single that brought in freshman Taryn Pena (Columbia, Ill.). Sophomore Tasha Alexander (Eddyville, Iowa) drove in the final two runs of the frame with a two-RBI single that scored Newman and Smith as Alexander was thrown out trying to stretch it to a double but not before Drake built a 5-0 lead. Next Game: Sophomore Nicole Newman (Madison, Wis.) pitched a complete game against Illinois State (20-33). Newman, the 2016 MVC Pitcher of the Year, allowed one run on three hits with 12 strikeouts and just one walk as she improved to 22-12 with the win. Full Schedule Roster The Valley On ESPN3 Preview Live Stats Illinois State scored its only run in the fourth inning on a solo home run by Riley Strandgard. Newman wasn’t fazed as she didn’t allow one hit after Strandgard’s home run.center_img Alexander led the Bulldogs with two hits and two RBI while Frank, Newman, Pena and junior Megan Sowa (Gurnee, Ill.) each had one hit. Watch Live CARBONDALE, Ill. – The Drake University softball team defeated Illinois State, 5-1, in a Missouri Valley Conference Tournament semifinal Friday to advance to Saturday’s championship game at Charlotte West Stadium. vs. Wichita State 5/14/2016 – 1:00 PM Drake (30-23), the tournament number two seed, will play top-seeded Wichita State in the program’s first title game appearance since 2011. Drake will look to avenge a series-sweep at the hands of Wichita State earlier this season. The winner of the 1 p.m. title game will earn the conference’s automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament. The game against the Shockers will be shown online on The Valley On ESPN3. Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

November 16

World Cup 2019: Dale Steyn ruled out of World Cup opener against England

first_imgSouth African paceman Dale Steyn has been ruled out of Thursday’s World Cup opener against England, with the Proteas coach Ottis Gibson saying the pace great is “getting closer” to full recovery from a shoulder injury.Gibson’s words left no doubts that the 35-year-old, South Africa’s highest wicket-taker in Tests, has still not gained match fitness. He had sustained the shoulder injury during his short stint in the Indian Premier League (IPL).”He is getting closer everyday. We hope that if not by Sunday (against Bangladesh) then by the India game (on 5 June) (he will be ready),” Gibson said at a press conference.”He is not fully ready yet and we feel that in a six-week tournament there is no need to press the issue right now,” the coach said after the team’s training session.#CSAnews Dale Steyn will miss the opening @cricketworldcup match against England as he continues to recover from a right shoulder injury. https://t.co/Z4U1jyWj4u #CWC19 pic.twitter.com/LL0Qlmg9xjCricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) May 28, 2019England and South Africa are set to kick off the showpiece at The Oval on Thursday.One of South Africa’s best ever pacers with 439 Test wickets and 196 ODI scalps, Steyn’s activity at training was restricted to jogging and bowling off a very short run-up with no real pace. He then walked off the field before coming out again to have a hit with the bat.Steyn has not bowled in a game yet in England. He was in the 15-man squad for the warm-up against West Indies but South Africa batted first before the game was rained off. He wasn’t in the line-up for the match against Sri Lanka.advertisementHe has not bowled in competitive cricket since pulling out of Royal Challengers Bangalore’s IPL campaign in late April, having played only two games there, because of inflammation in his right shoulder.Also Read | Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur, chief selector Inzamam to leave after World Cup 2019Also Read | World Cup 2019: Glenn Maxwell cautious of Rashid Khan threat ahead of Australia openerAlso Seelast_img read more

November 7

Harvey Norman Promotion

first_imgNRL Touch Football’s major partner, Harvey Norman, has a great deal for members through the TFA website and newsletter. Making sure you train at the right intensity is made possible with the Polar M400 Heart Rate Monitor Sports Watch. Packed with enhanced features like built-in GPS and 24/7 activity training, the Polar M400 makes a stylish sporting companion equipped to take your training to the next level.Harvey Norman is exclusively offering our TFA members a White Polar M400 at a low price of $298.For more information or to purchase your White Polar M400, please click hereStay tuned to the TFA website and newsletter for greater Connected Health and Fitness deals from Harvey Norman. Related LinksHarvey Norman Promotionlast_img read more

October 27

UNC Paid Duke Over $27K For Locker Room Damages, But AD Bubba Cunningham Clearly Isn’t Happy

first_imgNorth Carolina football spray painted 'UNC' in Duke locker room.Well, so much for UNC and Duke getting along. As a result of the damages the North Carolina football team caused to Duke’s locker room and facilities after this past November’s football game, the Blue Devils sent the Tar Heels a $27,140 bill. Head coach Larry Fedora and school AD Bubba Cunningham each wrote personal checks for $13,585 to split the cost, according to The Herald-Sun. But it doesn’t appear that UNC’s brass are necessarily happy about it. Cunningham, in a letter to Duke AD Kevin White, claimed that he didn’t understand the charges. He also made note of the fact that someone painted D-U-K-E on some of UNC’s pillars last year.“While I may not understand the charges assessed, we take complete responsibility for our students and our programs.” Laura Keeley, Duke beat reporter for the Raleigh News & Observer, also mentions that Cunningham was disappointed that Blue Devils coach David Cutcliffe didn’t return Larry Fedora’s “apology call.”Bubba Cunningham also said he was disappointed Duke coach David Cutcliffe never returned Larry Fedora’s apology call— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Keeley also tweeted out a number of photos of the damages. Photo of said damaged locker room carpet in the Duke visitor’s locker room, which was replaced for $22,028.44 pic.twitter.com/qdcwqUP0LL— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Spray paint on Duke practice facility walls pic.twitter.com/XL3rzXVuCe— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015More spray paint damage in Duke vistor’s locker room pic.twitter.com/ts55QzDWx6— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015More spray paint damage in the Duke visitor’s locker room — repainting that & Wallace Wade billed at $4,470 pic.twitter.com/acJ3n1c7h2— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015And, finally, the picture of Wallace Wade spray paint damage pic.twitter.com/fQdHYMip7H— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Duke and North Carolina renew their rivalry this November 7th in Chapel Hill.[CBS Sports]last_img read more

September 18

Napoli reject Chiriches offer

first_imgNapoli have rejected an offer from Stoke City to sign Vlad Chiriches, according to Sports Mole.The Romanian centre-half was mostly on the sidelines through the whole of last season under former manager Maurizio Sarri and has been considering his club future as he seeks more playing time.The porters were looking to take advantage of his current predicament to bring him to the Brittania but have seen their bid of around £13.3million rejected out of hand by Napoli.Stoke City suffered relegation to the Sky Bet Championship from the Premier League last season and are looking to bounce back up immediately.Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusSerie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….The club have already signed Nigerian international midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo and Benik Afobe who spent last season on at Wolverhampton Wanderers.New boss Gary Rowett is keen to add to his squad and has targeted former Spurs defender Chiriches to bring more steel to the club’s defensive unit.The Romanian is expected to play a huge role at Naples this campaign as new boss Carlo Ancelotti is a huge admirer of his abilities.Napoli and Ancelotti will be hoping to go one step further by usurping Juventus from the top of the league after they finished second last season.last_img read more

September 17

Gun Violence Monday Murder

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 28 Sept 2015 – GUN VIOLENCE, MONDAY MURDER as Police are right now investigating an apparent killing in Dock Yard, according to Press Officer, Audley Astwood.Just as the Deputy Governor points out that the country has doubled last year’s murder count already, the TCI records yet another killing. This will be seven murders for 2015.Anya Williams was speaking at Thursday’s Youth Forum.The body was found, reportedly with gun shot wound.Early reports are the man is originally from Grand Turk, in his mid to late 20s and once worked as a member of the fire department. Nickname is reportedly, ‘Bally’.Raymond Taylor is the young man found gunned down in Dock Yard, Kew Town Providenciales this morning.He is the son of Pastor Dale Taylor.This is the second Pastor this year to lose a son to senseless gun violence. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Nancy Reagan gone but touched the Caribbean Recommended for you Woman shot, vehicle shot up in Kew Town ambush this morning Murdered father of two, shot in the head Related Items:died, dock yard, kew town, Raymond taylorlast_img read more

September 14

Some Established Residential Areas In Annex Zones Might Be Allowed To Vote

first_imgThe City Council postponed the vote on the ordinance to begin the draft process for the potential annexation areas until their meeting on June 13, During a work session, on Wednesday, May 23, the Soldotna City Council shuffled through maps of each of the proposed annexation zones. The council broke down possible residential areas in each of the study zones that would be open up for public comment, or essentially a vote, in those areas in order decide whether or not to annex them. Mayor Anderson countered: “We can submit anything we want with or without a vote.”  Mayor Nels Anderson: “In established residential areas they will be allowed to vote.” But, the council was unclear as to which of those ‘residential areas’ will be allowed to vote and those that will not. Council Member Justin Ruffridge was adamant that if you put the vote out to one then you need to put the vote out to all: “I think if we are going to make a decision it needs to be all or nothing. We need to give everyone the opportunity to vote, or just make a decision and stick to it.”  Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享For three years now the residents within the proposed annexation zones, adjacent to the city limits of Soldotna, have expressed strong opposition to the possibility of their homes being annexed. Now some of them might even get the chance to vote. If the council votes to move forward with submitting the petition to the Local Boundary Commission, additional public hearings and action from the council will be required.last_img read more