June 12

Inquest into the deaths of “Balibo five” resumes after two-month suspension

first_imgNews Google experiments drop Australian media from search results February 22, 2021 Find out more January 21, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders today hailed the resumption this week of an inquest into the murders of cameraman Brian Peters and four other journalists 32 years ago in East Timor, saying it hoped every aspect of their deaths would be clarified and insisting that it was not too late for those responsible to be punished.After suspending hearings for two months, a Sydney coroner resumed the inquest behind closed doors on 2 May. The five journalists, all employed by Australian news media, were killed in the town of Balibo on 16 October 1975, at the start of an Indonesian invasion of East Timor.”We hope that all the people summoned by coroner Dorelle Pinch, including Gough Whitlam, Yunus Yosfiah, Guy Peterson, Michael Griggs, Ronald Shepherd, Sam O’Shea and Brian Osborne, will come and testify before the Sydney court,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Their testimony will be crucial for shedding light on the murkier aspects of this case. Justice must finally be rendered to the families of these five journalists, who were killed for seeing ‘too much’ in Balibo.” AustraliaAsia – Pacific RSF condemns Facebook’s blocking of journalistic content in Australia David Jenkins, a former editor of the Sydney Morning Herald’s international service, told the inquest on 2 May that Indonesian army officers were aware of the journalists’ presence in Balibo before they took the town. Indonesia’s Gen. Benny Murdani, for example, said in an interview on 22 July 1995 that he had known the five journalists were in Balibo. Another Indonesian army officer, Col. Dading Kabualdi, said in an interview around the same time that he was in Balibo that day.Jenkins added that, in the course of a phone conversation in 1999, he obtained an implicit admission from then Indonesian information minister Yunis Yosfiah that he had been in Balibo during the 1975 invasion.A former telephone operator at the Sydney international telephone exchange told the inquest yesterday that she overheard a phone conversation in which a native English-speaking man in the East Timor capital of Dili told someone at the Melbourne-based The Age newspaper that Indonesia troops killed the five journalists. She said she remained silent until now for fear of being punished under the Crimes and Official Secrets Act. Despite assurances of immunity from the coroner, other witnesses also expressed concern about testifying freely to the inquest.Several letters received by the coroner in the past two months from politicians who were in office in 1975 were read out to the court yesterday afternoon. Former defence minister Bill Morrison confirmed in one of the letters that he was told of the deaths of the five journalists only six hours after the event, in a meeting at the defence ministry attended by then intelligence chief Gordon Jockel. He received confirmation of the news at 4 p.m. the same day from Arthur Tange, the then secretary of the department of foreign affairs.Then prime minister Gough Whitlam continues to insist he did not know about the deaths of the five journalists until five days after the event. He and Morrisson are scheduled to testify to the coroner on 8 May. But Australia’s ambassador to Indonesia in 1975, Richard Woolcott, has not been summoned although he met senior Indonesian army officers shortly before the killings. Organisation to go further May 4, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Inquest into the deaths of “Balibo five” resumes after two-month suspension On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia Follow the news on Australia Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts News News RSF_en AustraliaAsia – Pacific November 19, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

June 12

Gas contracts but no press freedom

first_img Organisation TurkmenistanEurope – Central Asia News (Photo AFP) #CollateralFreedom: RSF now unblocking 21 sites in 12 countries Help by sharing this information News March 31, 2020 Find out more Ogulsapar Muradova, the Turkmenistan correspondent of Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty, died three years ago, on 12 September 2006, after being severely beaten by guards in Ovodan Depe high security prison, to the north of the capital Ashgabat. Today, the Turkmen government is waging an all-out charm offensive while still holding two other journalists, Sapardurdy Khadjiyev and Annakurban Amanklychev, who were arrested and convicted at the same time as Muradova.Dependent on its income from the export of gas, Turkmenistan is actively trying to diversify its outlets and improve its international image. President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov recently met with the leaders of several of its Caspian Sea neighbours, sealed the renewal of ties with Russian president Dmitry Medvedev on 13 September and met with Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko. President Berdymukhamedov appealed to all potential partners in a speech on 12 September, mentioning a gas pipeline to China that will be opened by the end of the year, a proposed pipeline to carry Turkmen gas to the Indian Ocean and, above all, his country’s determination to join the European Union’s proposed Nabucco pipeline.“The Turkmenbashi’s successor has been preparing this diplomatic offensive for some time but one should not pin any hopes on his government’s change in tone,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The Turkmen regime is hoping to woo the international community with a new approach, but we urge its potential partners to look at the realities of a country that is ranked 171st out of 173 countries in our press freedom index.“The dismissal of two important government censorship officials at the start of 2009 raised hopes of liberalisation, but nothing has really changed behind the façade and Turkmenistan continues to be one of the world’s most repressive countries for journalists. There is absolutely no criticism of the regime in the media. Internet cafés are allowed but access to opposition websites is blocked, email is monitored and visiting alternative websites can be very dangerous. How can the regime’s declared reform intentions and its calls to local journalists to follow the international media’s example be taken seriously while at the same time it arbitrarily refuses to let journalists and students go abroad?”Anyone helping foreign journalists risks serious problems. There is so much intimidation that local journalists usually lose no time in declining any invitation to work for foreign news media. The example of Khadjiyev and Amanklychev helps to keep things this way. They were sentenced to six and seven years in prison respectively in August 2006 on a trumped-up charge of “possession of illegal munitions” after helping the French production company Galaxie-Presse prepare a report on Turkmenistan for the French TV station France 2.According to recent reports, their health has deteriorated and they have ailments affecting the stomach, kidneys, legs and joints. Their access to treatment is very limited and no international organisation, not even the International Committee of the Red Cross, has been allowed to visit them. Their relatives, like Muradova’s relatives and all those who have been in contact with them, are forbidden to leave the country, their phones are tapped and their access to work and higher education is obstructed.“If President Berdymukhamedov wants to turn his words into actions, he should release Khadjiyev and Amanklychev,” Reporters Without Borders added. “On the sad anniversary of Muradova’s death, we urge the European Union’s members to clearly accept that any commercial and diplomatic opening towards Turkmenistan cannot overlook the situation of human rights and press freedom.” News September 16, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Gas contracts but no press freedom Four-year jail term for independent website’s correspondent in Turkmenistan TurkmenistanEurope – Central Asia Coronavirus off limits in Turkmenistan to go further December 18, 2020 Find out more News Receive email alerts RSF_en Follow the news on Turkmenistan March 13, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

June 12

Woman reporter still held in Luhansk after six months

first_img Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV Organisation Help by sharing this information to go further UkraineEurope – Central Asia News RSF_en September 7, 2020 Find out more February 26, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts July 9, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Woman reporter still held in Luhansk after six monthscenter_img Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority Reporters Without Borders condemns the continuing detention of Maria Varfolomeyeva, a young woman journalist who was arrested in Luhansk six months ago today by the authorities of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic (LPR).Arrested while taking photos of an apartment block on 9 January, she was accused of helping the Ukrainian armed forces to improve the accuracy of their artillery bombardments and of spying for the Ukrainian ultra-nationalist group Pravy Sektor.Her separatist captors subjected her to series of carefully staged and videoed “interrogations,” in which she could often be seen sobbing, and then “sentenced” her to 15 years in prison.“Maria Varfolomeyeva’s prolonged arbitrary detention is completely unacceptable,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“Arrested for taking photos, this journalist has been subjected to intense psychological pressure and then tried and convicted in a completely illegal manner. We call on Luhansk’s self-proclaimed authorities to free her at once.”A Luhansk native, Varfolomeyeva worked for the local news website Svobodny Reporter. She also often worked as a fixer for various national media, including Hromadske TV. Despite the fighting, she stayed in Luhansk to help her grandmother, who unable to leave because of her physical condition. Follow the news on Ukraine March 26, 2021 Find out more UkraineEurope – Central Asia News News Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media Newslast_img read more

December 20

Peruvian Detained with Drugs Belongs to Shining Path

first_img One of the five Peruvians detained in Bolivia on 28 June on drug-trafficking charges is a member of the Shining Path armed group, Bolivian Interior Minister Sacha Llorenti affirmed on 1 July. “We can confirm that one of the individuals arrested in Pelechuco belongs to the Shining Path terrorist group; we are exchanging further information with the Peruvian authorities,” Llorenti said at a press conference. Pelechuco is a border town north of the binational Lake Titicaca, where five Peruvians and a Bolivian who were transporting cocaine were detained on 28 June. The minister did not specify the name of the supposed Shining Path member, although several local media outlets affirmed that it was believed to be Ulser Pillpa Paitán, “Comrade Jhony.” Three of the detained Peruvians were wearing the uniform of the Bolivian anti-narcotics police, according to the Bolivian anti-drug force, which indicated that they were surprised while trying to make an illegal seizure of forty-three kilograms of cocaine from the other three detainees, supplanting the authorities. The agency did not specify which detainees were the ones who were transporting the drugs and which were disguised as Bolivian police officers. The six individuals involved in the drug case are being detained in La Paz. Shining Path, a guerrilla group, emerged in Peru in 1980 and had its period of greatest activity up to 2000, when its chief leaders were taken prisoner or died in combat, following a ferocious confrontation with the state that left around seventy thousand dead. At present, a residual group of between two hundred and three hundred men operates in a coca-growing area in southern Peru. By Dialogo July 06, 2011last_img read more

September 16

Baseball drops two games at Utah

first_imgHowever, Lunn was assisted by some hot Trojan hitting Thursday. Six players had multiple hits and the team accounted for 16 total for the game. The Trojans started strong on the road in Salt Lake City, but they were unable to maintain their good form and lost the final two games of the series to Utah. With the series now behind them, the Trojans are 14-20 on the year. “It really gives me a lot of positive energy pitching,” Lunn said. “Knowing that they are going to pick me [up] and that all I need to focus on is what I need to do and just get it done.” This marks three consecutive wins for Lunn, who started the season as the Trojan’s go-to closer late in the game. With some pitching struggles earlier in the year, there was an opening for someone to take the No. 1 pitching spot in the Trojan rotation, and Lunn has flourished in the role. He is 5-1 on the year and has some impressive victories against teams like UCLA and Arizona State. “When I go up there, my thing is just get the next guy up and help the team out as much as I can,” O’Guinn told the Pac-12 Network. “So my thing is just get them over and get somebody else an RBI and go from there.” Utah took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. The Utes then added another run in the bottom of the fourth before the Trojans tied the game at 2 runs apiece in the top of the fifth inning. Senior shortstop Chase Bushor drove in sophomore third baseman Ben Ramirez before scoring on a double play ball. Junior pitcher Connor Lunn started on the mound for the Trojans in their 6-0 victory in Thursday night’s opener and looked as commanding as ever. In six innings, Lunn hurled nine strikeouts while allowing only one hit and no earned runs. Following this series, the Trojans will take on Pepperdine, a team sitting above .500 on the year with a 17-14 overall record. However, the Utes quickly struck back and retook the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. Then, in the sixth inning, each team scored 1 run to bring the score to 5-3 going into the seventh inning. The Trojans then scored 1 more run in the seventh inning, but the Utes locked things down to take the contest.center_img However, the Trojans couldn’t replicate their lights out performance against the Utes in the following two games of the series. Junior pitcher Connor Lunn has dominated as the team’s No. 1 starter with a 5-1 record this year. (Daily Trojan file photo) “I was really able to introduce my new curveball that I’ve been working on,” Lunn said to USC Athletics. “I was able to get some swings and misses on that, and it helped my fastball a little bit.” The final game of the series ended the same way as the second. The Trojans came up short despite coming back from an early deficit, and the Utes claimed the final game of the series by a score of 5-4. On paper, the matchup between the Trojans and the Waves appears to be even. Both teams have solid hitting with the same batting average of .270 on the year. Both teams also have comparable ERAs above 4. First pitch is Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Dedeaux Field. Specifically, sophomore right fielder Jamal O’Guinn couldn’t miss in the series opener. He went 4-for-5 in the game and contributed three RBIs. In the second game in Salt Lake City, the Trojans lost by a narrow 5-4 margin.last_img read more

August 12

PBSO Searching for Driver Involved in Fatal West Palm Hit-and-Run

first_imgThe Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help to locate the driver of a car that was involved in a fatal hit and run crash in West Palm Beach on Friday night.According to a crash report, 67-year-old Natalie Tripodi was struck and killed by an unknown vehicle while trying to walk across the eastbound lanes of Okeechobee Blvd. at Meridian Rd., just east of the Turnpike, around 9:45 p.m.A witness told deputies the traffic light for the unknown vehicle was green when the crash happened.Deputies add the unknown vehicle fled the scene, and Tripodi was pronounced dead at the crash site by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.Anyone with information is being asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at (561) 688-3400.last_img read more

August 12

England under 16s unbeaten in autumn internationals

first_img England’s boy under 16 golfers have enjoyed a triumphant autumn on the fairways, winning all three of their Home Internationals as well as beating Spain in a mixed match. The highly skilled squad began with a 10-2 victory over Wales at Oswestry in September, winning all eight singles after sharing the foursomes 2-2. Then it was on to St Andrews for the match with Scotland earlier this month which resulted in an 11½ – 3½ victory for England. All five foursomes were secured while the England boys won six of the ten singles and another was halved. The third match was played at The Links Portmarnock over the weekend against the Irish and again England came out on top, this time 13-3. Just half a point was dropped in the morning four foursomes before all four afternoon four-balls were won. That meant England led 7½ – ½ going into the eight second day singles in which five victories were achieved along with one half. “The boys did very well and it’s very pleasing to see the strength in depth we have in England Golf,” said England Boys Manager Derek Hughes. “Some of these lads are in the under 18 squad while others are on the fringe so these were very creditable performances where everyone played a part.” Over the three internationals, Harry Hall (Cornwall), Lewis George (Cheshire), Chris Handy (Co Durham) and Will Enefer (Shropshire & Herefordshire) each won six of their seven games. Matty Lamb (Northumberland), who wasn’t involved in the Welsh match, won all five of his games against the Scots and the Irish. In the earlier mixed under 16 match with Spain at Heswall, England won 10-2, dropping just one point in the eight singles, while England’s under 16 girls won 2up overall from their four singles against the Swiss. Image caption: Matty Lamb competing in the England v Ireland U16, 2013. Image copyright Ronan Quinlan 14 Oct 2013 England under 16s unbeaten in autumn internationals last_img read more

August 12

Gloucestershire strike the first blow in title showdown

first_img Gloucestershire struck the first blow in today’s tense showdown at the English Women’s County Finals, beating Yorkshire 2-1 in the foursomes.The South West champions lost the top game 3/2 to Yorkshire champion Megan Garland and Curtis Cup player Rochelle Morris. But they held their nerve to win the other two games, which both finished on the 18th green.Both games unfolded in similar fashion. First, Alex Giles and Claudia Ovens halved the 16th in birdie to get to dormie two up, but lost the 17th. On the 18th Giles played a superb shot to within 5ft of the pin which was eventually conceded for the win.Behind them, England international Bethan Popel and Alex Saunders also birdied 16 to be dormie two up and also lost 17. But they too held on to their advantage, helped by an excellent long approach putt from Popel which finished close to the hole. It was the first time this week that their opponents, international Olivia Winning and Alison Knowles, had been beaten in the foursomes.The teams now head into the afternoon singles and the winners of the match will take become English County Champions.The other four teams at County Finals are battling for places in the table. Surrey lead Staffordshire 2.5-0.5 after the foursomes. Martha Lewis and Alice Spani-Molella halved with Staffordshire’s Emily Brennan and Gina Wilkie; Lauren Horsford and Nicola Taylor won 6/5; and the final game was conceded to Surrey after Staffordshire’s Morgan Thomas hurt her back.In the third match Norfolk and Gloucestershire shared the foursomes points. Tracey Williamson and her daughter, Amelia, won the first point 3/1 for Norfolk; the bottom game was won 2up by Buckinghamshire’s Lucy Matthews and Lizi Sweetnam and the middle game was halved.Click here for full scoresCaption: Gloucestershire’s Bethan Popel and Alex Saunders (image © Leaderboard Photography) 16 Sep 2016 Gloucestershire strike the first blow in title showdown last_img read more

August 3

Injury-riddled Leafs face test against Murdoch leading Castlegar

first_imgLeafs get roster help with acquisition of D-manNelson coach Dave McLellan acquired another defenceman for the Leafs earlier this week in a deal with the Columbia Valley Rockies.Coming to Nelson is 6’6”, 220-pound defenceman Joel Huber for future considerations.In 20 games this season with Columbia Valley, the Grande Prairie, Alberta product had two assists.Huber practiced with Nelson Wednesday night and is expected to be in the lineup for the weekend series against Castlegar.Huber joins a defensive core that includes Austin Seaman, Robson Cramer and Darnel St. Pierre.McLellan said a forward, most likely Nolan Percival, would drop back to help the defence.More deals to come?McLellan is working on a couple other deals but could not reveal the details.Monday (December 1) is the BC Hockey deadline when all junior teams must reduce to not more than 25 players of registered or unused registration certificates.Leaf injury list continues to growDefenceman Patrick Croome is the latest Leaf player to join the injured reserve list.Croome played hurt in Saturday’s 4-1 home loss to Beaver Valley.Croome joins forwards Dylan Williamson, Timothy Nichols, Michael Crawford and Blair Andrews on the injury list.Leaf coach Dave McLellan is in the process of assessing to see if any of the players would be out for the season. How long can the Nelson Leafs keep winning with an injury-depleted roster of players?Hopefully a little while longer as Leaf coach and GM Dave McLellan continues to work the phones looking for prize prospects to fill in the injury-depleted lineup.Nelson managed, with the help of a few affiliate players from the Kootenay Ice of the BC Major Midget Hockey League, to keep pace in the Murdoch Division by edging the Grand Forks Border Bruins in overtime during a Kootenay International Junior Hockey League mid-week Murdoch clash in the Boundary City.But the Bruins are last in the division and the first-place Castlegar Rebels, winners of four straight games, are next up on the schedule — with a home-and-home series beginning Friday in the Sunflower City.The return contest is Saturday at 7 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.“I think we outplayed (Castlegar) the last time we played them,” said McLellan. “We just had a couple of soft goals early but after that we controlled the game so I hope we can pick up where we left off.”“However, it’s undetermined what our lineup is going to look like with all the injuries but we’ll just adjust our systems to fit our lineup,” McLellan added.Nelson, trailing the Rebels by one point in the Murdoch standings, will need to control the KIJHL’s leading scorer Bryan Lubin, who leads the league with 23 goals and 21 assists.Lubin, who had a six-game point streak snapped Tuesday against Spokane, holds a five-point lead over Rainer Glimpel of Osoyoos Coyotes.Nelson’s top scorer is defenceman Robson Cramer, with 13 goals and 18 assists.Cramer scored the overtime winner Tuesday against Grand Forks.last_img read more

December 18

New, in-depth study of Mandela’s image, legacy

first_img13 May 2014 The Cambridge Companion to Nelson Mandela, a new book examining how Mandela became an icon during his lifetime, the meanings and uses of his internationally recognisable image, and his legacy in the 21st century, was launched in Johannesburg last week. Featuring essays by experts in history, anthropology, jurisprudence, cinema, literature and visual studies, The Cambridge Companion takes an in-depth look at Mandela’s relation to “tradition” and “modernity”, the impact of his famous public appearances, the oscillation between Africanist and non-racial positions in South Africa, and the politics of gender and national sentiment. It concludes with a meditation on Mandela’s legacy in the 21st century and a detailed guide to further reading on the world-renowned leader. Speaking at book’s launch at the Nelson Mandela Foundation, Professor Achille Mbembe, a researcher from the Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research and a contributing author, said Mandela “was a major political thinker – a typical 20th century thinker – and the 20th century ended for us not in 1999, but when Mandela died. “The political questions he translated in his time are still valid today, but what are the new questions we could ask about him? Maybe we will never know him completely,” Mbembe said. Verne Harris, director of research at the foundation, said the book “examines how Mandela looked, how he presented and carried himself, and inspires ongoing debate about Mandela, modernity and tradition.” Mbongiseni Buthelezi, of the Centre for Law and Society at the University of Cape Town, spoke of the “spectre” of Mandela and the project of freedom. “What are the questions Mandela allows us to ask, and which ones do we need to ask now? What future do we have without Mandela? “One of the angers and hurts people feel is how we maintained the status quo during the apartheid era, and how we are dealing with reconciliation in terms of our difficult past and post-Mandela,” Buthelezi said. Also at the launch werestruggle veterans Ahmed Kathrada and George Bizos, both long-standing friends of Mandela. Bizos spoke fondly of Mandela, saying it was important for the country that Mandela’s memory be preserved because he genuinely cared about people. “We know that his memory will live forever, but before we say that we will follow in his footsteps, let us first inform ourselves where his footsteps would have been. It might not have been in the way that some purport it to be,” Bizos said. The Cambridge Companion to Nelson Mandela, published by Cambridge University Press, was edited by Rita Barnard, a professor in English and comparative literature at the University of Pennsylvania and publisher of extensive literature on South African politics. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more