NRL Touch Footballâ€™s major partner, Harvey Norman, has a great deal for members through the TFA website and newsletter. Making sure you train at the right intensity is made possible with the Polar M400 Heart Rate Monitor Sports Watch. Packed with enhanced features like built-in GPS and 24/7 activity training, the Polar M400 makes a stylish sporting companion equipped to take your training to the next level.Harvey Norman is exclusively offering our TFA members a White Polar M400 at a low price of $298.For more information or to purchase your White Polar M400, please click hereStay tuned to the TFA website and newsletter for greater Connected Health and Fitness deals from Harvey Norman. Related LinksHarvey Norman Promotion
Well, so much for UNC and Duke getting along. As a result of the damages the North Carolina football team caused to Duke’s locker room and facilities after this past November’s football game, the Blue Devils sent the Tar Heels a $27,140 bill. Head coach Larry Fedora and school AD Bubba Cunningham each wrote personal checks for $13,585 to split the cost, according to The Herald-Sun. But it doesn’t appear that UNC’s brass are necessarily happy about it. Cunningham, in a letter to Duke AD Kevin White, claimed that he didn’t understand the charges. He also made note of the fact that someone painted D-U-K-E on some of UNC’s pillars last year.“While I may not understand the charges assessed, we take complete responsibility for our students and our programs.” Laura Keeley, Duke beat reporter for the Raleigh News & Observer, also mentions that Cunningham was disappointed that Blue Devils coach David Cutcliffe didn’t return Larry Fedora’s “apology call.”Bubba Cunningham also said he was disappointed Duke coach David Cutcliffe never returned Larry Fedora’s apology call— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Keeley also tweeted out a number of photos of the damages. Photo of said damaged locker room carpet in the Duke visitor’s locker room, which was replaced for $22,028.44 pic.twitter.com/qdcwqUP0LL— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Spray paint on Duke practice facility walls pic.twitter.com/XL3rzXVuCe— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015More spray paint damage in Duke vistor’s locker room pic.twitter.com/ts55QzDWx6— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015More spray paint damage in the Duke visitor’s locker room — repainting that & Wallace Wade billed at $4,470 pic.twitter.com/acJ3n1c7h2— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015And, finally, the picture of Wallace Wade spray paint damage pic.twitter.com/fQdHYMip7H— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2015Duke and North Carolina renew their rivalry this November 7th in Chapel Hill.[CBS Sports]
MONTREAL – Some DavidsTea Inc. shareholders are pushing back against a turnaround plan and new board of directors proposed by a large shareholder group controlled by its co-founder, Herschel Segal.A joint letter to the tea chain’s board from Porchlight Equity Management LLC, TDM Asset Management PTY Ltd. and Edgepoint Wealth Management Inc. says they have “serious concerns” with Rainy Day Investments Ltd.’s proposal.RDI, which says it owns 46 per cent of the chain’s issued and outstanding shares, submitted a slate of director nominees for DavidsTea to consider, including Segal and Lorenzo Salvaggio, another former director.The shareholder group also says it no longer plans to propose an offer to buy out minority shareholders, but believes its proposed board can turn around the struggling retailer.The letter says Segal should not be allowed to reconstitute the board with handpicked nominees without consulting the board or other shareholders.It claims several of Segal’s nominees do not appear to have appropriate qualifications for the job and questions the independence of the proposed slate.The letter also highlights the scarcity of detail around RDI’s turnaround plan.“We are not prepared to simply accept RDI’s nominees and believe that there are a sufficient number of other shareholders that would hold similar views,” reads the letter dated March 28.The group calls on RDI to work with DavidsTea and other significant shareholders to agree on the board nominees, and asks the retailer to communicate their concerns to RDI and offer to start a collaborative process.“This approach will save (DavidsTea) and all other parties from unnecessary expense and disruption.”The company’s annual meeting of shareholders will take place on June 14.
Rahul promised justice to the poor and Jaitley criticised the gesture. That is, of course, classic politics with ensuing arguments and counter-arguments being the order of the day. But, what captivates mass interest is the Indian version of the Universal Basic Income (UBI) which Rahul and company have promised to the 20 per cent of poorest families in India. Policymakers, economists, and whoever who can relate to the pros and cons of this Nyuntam Aay Yojana (NYAY) or Minimum income guarantee scheme are frenzied over Congress’ novel announcement framed as “final assault on poverty”. While the premise piques curiosity owing to an unprecedented step which has been promised should Congress come to power, the cost, feasibility, scalability, et al, concerns loom large over this ground-breaking idea. Rs 12,000 per month per family to cover nearly 5 crore families and with Jaitley’s courtesy, Team Congress is asserting that Rs 3.6 lakh crore will be the outlay from the exchequer in order to fulfil its crucial electoral promise. One of the many apprehensions is the widening of fiscal deficit which revolves around the inquisitiveness as to where will the money for such a grand scheme come from. The current dispensation has estimated this year’s fiscal deficit at 3.4 per cent. Rough estimations cite that Congress’ NYAY will be three times India’s fiscal deficit and six times its Defence budget. Rahul’s claim that calculations have been done and fiscal repercussions have been analysed to arrive at a conclusion that such a poverty-exclusive scheme is feasible. It means that NYAY would not affect India’s fiscal deficit but the massive outlay, then, must be aptly accommodated to not have any impact on the fiscal deficit. There are only two ways to do that – increase revenues or cut expenditure – and Congress went silent on that, for now. If Congress decides to cut expenditure then which sector would suffer a cut-down and their “expenditure-rationalisation” call requires explicit elaboration. Should the revenue be increased, Congress would require to increase taxes for the top income group in which case we may see inheritance and wealth taxes be implemented. The other way is to strictly provide subsidies to the poor and let the rich pay the market amount. This will neutralise the budget. Also Read – A compounding difficultyHaving accepted Rahul’s assertion that this scheme is feasible, the second apprehension circles around identification of the beneficiary. Poorest 20 per cent sounds ambiguous. Moreover, this bracket is below the controversial poverty line, and hence ignores all those who are above its ambit but still below the poverty line. And, not just those but families that are barely above the line and still fall in need of government for economic support schemes. Income data surveys will be needed and extensive identification process will be required to be undertaken to resolve this and the biggest problem that stands tall like a wall to this identification process is the fact that maximum Indians are involved in the informal sector where the income meanders every day. Peculiarities surround NYAY and only discussions will reveal the actual picture. On the other hand, Congress could have tried employment guarantee scheme again – reinvigorating their previous efforts. Surging new life in MGNREGA could have also answered similar questions that exist under the Modi regime. Unemployment, being a direct issue, would also make it an apt manifesto agenda while tackling the monetary issue with regard to poverty. Also Read – An askew democracy NYAY, a derivative of UBI, does provide financial support but nothing else. This support still leaves the poor without work or informal work with the onus of finding one on the beneficiary alone. An income support scheme in this regard gets eclipsed by an employment guarantee scheme because the latter provides for a job, money while implicitly increasing nation’s workforce or asset (as per economics). There are many questions that remain unanswered as far as NYAY is concerned with uncertainty revolving around exactly what will be the compensation for pulling off this unprecedented scheme for the poor in fiscal terms. The other angle is writing off other schemes which will again be contentious. At this juncture, curiosity hovers whether Congress is serious with its “final assault on poor” or is it just rallying around supposedly utopian methods to pull the voters on its side and register a landslide victory, marking an end to NDA’s era. If the latter turns out to be true then it would not be any better than the previous five years for the poor since NDA or UPA, BJP or Congress, it is the same narrative term after term – the poor remains poor with the rich-poor disparity in wealth widening like an obese person!
Rabat- Morocco’s 2015 Uranium Recovery from Phosphates draft project was approved on the Thursday.The committee on Foreign Affairs, National Defense, Islamic Affairs and Moroccans residing abroad approved last Thursday in the lower of house of the parliament a draft project concerning a Moroccan-French cooperation agreement on peaceful use of nuclear energy. The draft project consists of uranium exploitation and recovery from phosphates.According to the Minister-Delegate for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation Mbarka Boubid, this agreement is an opportunity to strengthen ties between Morocco and France on the peaceful use of nuclear energy. Last November, Morocco’s minister of higher education, Scientific Research and Executive Training Lahcen Daoudi announced that Morocco would start extracting uranium from its phosphate by 2015. The Moroccan Minister confirmed a statement made few months ago by Mustapha Terrab, CEO of the Cherifian Office of Phosphates, who had said that Morocco’s project of extracting uranium had reached a “very advanced stage.”Morocco is the largest phosphate exporter, and holds 75% of world’s reserves of phosphates (85 billion tons).© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed.
Tokyo– A Japanese soldier who hid in the Philippine jungle for three decades, refusing to believe World War II was over until his former commander returned and persuaded him to surrender, has died in Tokyo aged 91.Hiroo Onoda waged a guerilla campaign in Lubang Island near Luzon until he was finally persuaded in 1974 that peace had broken out.Leaflet drops and other efforts to convince him the Imperial Army had been defeated were unsuccessful, and it was only a visit from his former commanding officer, who ordered him to lay down his arms, that brought an end to his one-man war. Onoda was the last of several dozen so-called holdouts scattered around Asia, men who symbolised the astonishing perseverance of those called upon to fight for their emperor.Their number included a soldier arrested in the jungles of Guam in 1972.Trained as an information officer and guerrilla tactics coach, Onoda was dispatched to Lubang in 1944 and ordered never to surrender, never to resort to suicidal attacks and to hold firm until reinforcements arrived.He and three other soldiers continued to obey that order long after Japan’s 1945 defeat.Their existence became widely known in 1950, when one of their number emerged and returned to Japan.The remaining men continued to survey military facilities in the area, attacking local residents and occasionally fighting with Philippine forces, although one of them died soon afterwards.Tokyo and Manila searched for the remaining two over the next decade, but ruled in 1959 that they were already dead.However, in 1972, Onoda and the other surviving soldier got involved in a shoot-out with Philippine troops. His comrade died, but Onoda managed to escape.The incident shocked Japan, which took his family members to Lubang in the hope of persuading him that hostilities were over.Onoda later explained that he had believed attempts to coax him out were the work of a puppet regime installed in Tokyo by the United States.He read about his home country in newspapers that searchers deliberately scattered in the jungle for him to find, but dismissed their content as propaganda.The regular overflight by US planes during the long years of the Vietnam war also convinced him that the battle he had joined was still being played out across Asia.It was not until 1974, when his old commanding officer visited him in his jungle hideout to rescind the original order, that Onoda’s war eventually ended.Asked at a press conference in Japan after his return what he had been thinking about for the last 30 years, he told reporters: “Carrying out my orders.”But the Japan that Onoda returned to was much changed. The country he had left, and the one he believed he was still fighting for, was in the grip of a militarist government, bent on realising what it thought was its divine right to dominate the region.Crippled by years of increasingly unsuccessful war, its economy was in ruins and its people were hungry.But the Japan of 1974 was in the throes of a decades-long economic boom and in thrall to Western culture. It was also avowedly pacifist.Onoda had difficultly adapting to the new reality and, in 1975, emigrated to Brazil to start a cattle ranch, although he continued to travel back and forth.In 1984, still very much a celebrity, he established a youth camp, where he taught young Japanese some of the survival techniques he had used during his 30 years in hiding, when he lived on wild cows and bananas.He returned to Lubang in 1996 on a visit, reportedly at the invitation of the local government, despite his having been involved in the killing of dozens of Filipinos during his three-decade battle.He made a donation to the local community, which was reportedly used to set up a scholarship.Until recently, Onoda had been active in speaking engagements across Japan and in 2013 appeared on national broadcaster NHK.“I lived through an era called a war. What people say varies from era to era,” he told NHK in last May. “I think we should not be swayed by the climate of the time, but think calmly,” he said.
Ohio State defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones (86) takes the field in the second quarter of the 2017 Cotton Bowl against University of Southern California on Dec. 29 in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. Ohio State won 24-7. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for DesignFollowing Ohio State’s win against Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship, redshirt junior Dre’Mont Jones’ future as a Buckeye was up in the air.When asked if he would play in the Rose Bowl, Jones responded, “we’ll see.”On Wednesday, Jones put all those rumors to rest, announcing he will play in the Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1. Jones also said it will be his final game at Ohio State, forgoing his final year of eligibility to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.Jones was a first-team All-Big Ten member this season after leading the Buckeyes with 7.5 sacks, as well as earning 12.5 tackles for loss. Jones became an even more important player for Ohio State this season as the team lost junior defensive end Nick Bosa for the season with a core muscle injury.Jones is projected by many to be a first round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.
Wyatt Crosher and Colin Gay discuss Signing Day and the players from Ohio State they got to talk to on Wednesday. They also look at men’s basketball’s win against Penn State and what it means moving forward. NOTE: We recorded this before Justin Fields officially was cleared to play with the Buckeyes for 2019
Burnley youngster McNeil has signed a new contract with the club and has put paid to speculations over his exit from the club.The teenager signed his first professional contract at the club last April and has been in blistering form since he made his debut for the club last season.“A lot has happened in a short space of time and I’m happy to have signed a new deal,” McNeil Lancashiretelegraph.“I hadn’t really thought this far ahead but I’m just happy it’s come so soon.Match Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“The main aim was to sign it so I can focus on my football and I’ve done that now so I can focus and crack on with what I’m doing.“I think I’ve taken my opportunity well and hopefully I can build on that.“Hopefully I can stay in the team and really focus on this season. I think we’re doing well and we’ve got to keep that form going.“It’s a dream staying in the Premier League. It’s the best league in the world and you always want to stay and play in the Premier League.”